Tell the world

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Tell the world

freedo(Posted 2014) [#1]
Have just completed my first apps and am wondering what everyone does to promote their apps and get the word out. Many apps dont get installed because people don't know they exist.

So what do you guy's do...?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#2]
There's too many indie games, all fighting for attention.
I gave up the fight a long time ago. I make my games, pop them online, and wait to see what happens.
Unsurprisingly, nothing happens.

I've learned to live with that.

skid(Posted 2014) [#3]
You could post a link here. Get some feedback. Bad reviews are hard to shake once you do release.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#4]
#1 Go for niche markets, e.g. localized apps (in my case German).
#2 Put your game on as many platforms as possible (e.g. Amazon and Nook are not that saturated like Google Play, Windows Phone as well!)
#3 Take EB's words serious. He's right. Forget about paid reviews and paid marketing. Your budget is way too low.

dragon(Posted 2014) [#5]
i think that small games have no chance...
(except some anomaly like flappy bird or 2048)

simple games like flappy bird are easy to create and clone...
so in 1-2 weeks here are 100 clones available...

i think:
a) you should create something new or original (or mix 2 games to new one)
b) this game should be big enough, so that you have time to make many downloads BEFORE clones come up...
c) create less games, but with high quality
d) it should be interesting for many people

1 year of developement for 1 big project is a good start

forget 3-match / tetris / tic-tac-toe / memory etc...
here are 100 clones available...

BTW: my first game was flappy bird clone (1 week work) - but more for testing publishing
my 2nd game is also nothing "new" - but as i see here are not so many clones available - and no good one...
i worked on it 18 months in free time (sometimes with long breaks) - and soon is time to publish...

and...
i readed that rovio (angry birds) created 50 APPS (!!!) before they had luck with angry birds...
so in reallity - only one app is enough...

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#6]
You've finished a game, that's more than most do, put it out there don't expect much and see what happens.

Your best bet is to pay pewdiepie a few thousand to play your game on youtube, that's the reason flappybird exploded as it did.

I am still waiting for Sokoban to make a resurgence, I've a sokoban engine ready to roll for when that happens... it's just a waiting game.

freedo(Posted 2014) [#7]
Wow! Thanks guy's for all the advise...But surely there are some positive experiences to be shared..

Someone on the monkey forums must have had some good results they can share..

How about it..?

skid(Posted 2014) [#8]
a few secrets can be found here

degac(Posted 2014) [#9]
pewdiepie... I think it was an english slang word. Then I googled to understand it... oho! Somebody is paid to play games! Fantastic!
And thank for the advice! He seems a 'viral marketing vector'.... that's interesting!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#10]
@freedo - probably the biggest success for a game developed using Monkey is New Star Soccer ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newstargames.newstarsoccer ) even won a Bafta ( http://awards.bafta.org/award/2013/games/sports-fitness )

@degac - Yeah I don't get pewdipies popularity he pull funny faces while saying stupid things and gets millions of views.. take all sorts though I guess.

degac(Posted 2014) [#11]
@supertino... Yes he doesn't seem the most intelligent example of human being...

Just to know, I was looking for some video on YouTube about Monkey... and excluding some 'programming tutorial' I don't find any. The word 'monkey' seems to be a little 'generic'.... is there something about games written in monkey?