Ludum Dare #29 (April 25th-28th)

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Ludum Dare #29 (April 25th-28th)

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#1]
Anyone working on a MonkeyX entry? I'm making a *very* simple one, just as a break from bigger projects. 'Beneath the Surface' was quite a nice contest theme, I thought.
I keep forgetting to use the #monkeyx hashtag :(

(user: bazld, twitter @goodreactions)

FelipeA(Posted 2014) [#2]
I am working with monkeyX . I started late but I've got something going..

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#3]
My team and a possible new member to the team is working on a game right now using Monkey X. Can't say much yet because I'm deep in development.

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#4]
Sure, its a massive job to get anything like this done. Let's make sure we review eachother's entries when its over.
Good luck!

time-killer-games(Posted 2014) [#5]
Edit nevermind. Sorry about that.

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#6]
Current state of mine.
https://twitter.com/oddballdave/status/460134714670465024

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#7]
@time-killer-games I think people do it for fun, for community interaction, and to perhaps prototype some new idea. Contest themes and constraints can make you try something new. What you create in 48hr might just be a prototype, to become a full game later. I personally think the 1-Game-A-Month idea produces 'better' finished games, simply because 48hr is very short, like you say. Anyway, this is my first. I avoided them till now for the reasons you mentioned... I'm sure people re-use code and assets -- either that, or they are incredibly more productive than me :/

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#8]
I'm sure people re-use code and assets -- either that, or they are incredibly more productive than me :/

Quite possibly both. :D

I've been doing the LD since 22. I started with nothing in 22 and now I have a giant library of code I reuse every competition that keeps growing. Every competition the games I make keep getting more and more complex with generally less work.

What you create in 48hr might just be a prototype, to become a full game later.

This is very true. Aside from this break for LD29, I'm in the process of turning my LD27 game into a full game.

bazmonkey(Posted 2014) [#9]
I'm done! http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/bazld/ -- Stroppy Swan (click through to the 'Web' link).
I wrote a mini post-mortem there. Even such a basic game, with no unpredictable issues, took me most of the day to code.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#10]
Good job on completion. I'm actually pretty behind on this LD. Spent 10 hours trying to get this pathfinding thing just right and eventually dropped it. So I wasted 10 hours. At least I'm in the jam so I have until midday tomorrow.

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#11]
Finished mine with plenty of time to spare. Here it is.

malick(Posted 2014) [#12]
I finished mine too. Presenting Tick Attack. It was built using FantomEngine.

FelipeA(Posted 2014) [#13]
Hey guys, here is my game 0x1D. I made it with flixel and xaddon.
The Tick Attack sure made me feel weird, I could almost feel the ticks getting into my skin.

malick(Posted 2014) [#14]
A lot of great entries here. I'm glad to see Monkey well-represented.

@ilovepixel - 0x1D is awesome. I think you really have something there. You should keep going on that one. Regarding Tick Attack, I've been itchy since I started working on it. And no BS, my dad actually got a tick on him today after I showed him the game. And no, we don't live out in the woods or anything.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#15]
@ilovepixel: Love 0x1D. I've had similar thoughts about games where you manipulate object state but your puzzle platformer structure could work really well. As stands there are niggles with collision/control, the property altering is a bit awkward and the difficulty curve is too steep but it's definitely a game you could make into something really interesting. Nice job!

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#16]
I made it with flixel and xaddon.

Yay, pieces of my code are being used outside of me using them (scroll wheel!). That's always nice to hear.

As for how things are going on the jam for me, I am likely to turn in an unfinished game this time around. Kinda lame but 10 hours spent fiddling with the aforementioned bit and then 7 hours spent getting the collision to work in a very precise way has just killed this LD projects timing. That's a lesson to attempt to remember. Don't obsess over small things, that's always bad. I knew that yet I made the rookie mistake anyways. Sign~

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#17]
Did mine in 1.5 hours, but my use of previously created assets meant I had to enter it in the Jam, instead of the Solo doohickey.
Meh, whatever..

The Spikes Beneath

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#18]
Geez, 1.5 hours. Wish I had that kind of skill. Guess that's the kind of skill you gain from creating tons of games.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#19]
Yeah, once you've built a nice framework to handle all the menus, scoreboards and all the other horrible nasty stuff, you can buckle down and get the games made :D
Coupled with Monkey's awesome cross-compilation stuff, my recent AGameAWeek's have certainly come along leaps and bounds..

.. But, in general, the more you do it, the quicker you get. Practice makes it all easier, and you learn good ways to do things quickly along the way. Rapid-Coding isn't for everyone, and I do love to play a well build epic-game once in a while, but. .. this is how I code :D

devolonter(Posted 2014) [#20]
Hi! In the last hour (as it was every LD) we submitted our game. It's a little bit strange and short horror quest - Whistle
P.S. Congrats to everyone who could submit thier games!