Uk Schools Starting to Teach Unity in 6th Year.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Uk Schools Starting to Teach Unity in 6th Year.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
My son's just got his 6th Year time table through which he will start just after summer, and one of the options he's taken is Games Design which they teach with Unity.

Just thought I would share this for any Scottish/English people nearing their 6th year in High School..

Not sure how comprehensive the course will end up being but its Unity so they its a good place for the to start.

I had gotten in touch with my local MSP and MP and complained about the quality of programming and how ineffective the languages they were teaching, as part of my letter I made a point of putting focus on games design and mentioned monkey and unity and now a year on things are actually happening, I was worried they might act on it to late for my son to take advantage of it but looks like he's going to be taking their first class.

Just shows you, if you take the time to write a well thought out letter to your MP they just might take notice and do something about it.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#2]
Would be nice if they did it here in Scotland, but I won't be holding my breathe. The last i was told Glasgow council controls whats on school computers in all Glasgow schools...so they all get a program or none get it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Were only 30 miles or so down the coast from you, write to your local MP and complain, even if there is no time for your self or your kids, your still going to help improve the situation for others.

That's what our politicians are there for.

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#4]
I really wish I was 12 years old, all these tools and acceptance of gaming, only bit of coding we had some that damn turtle thing you programmed coords into. Then again I grew up in the early 90's a golden age of computing and has Amos and Blitzbasic to play with shame I never had the patience to learn them back then.

garyk1968(Posted 2014) [#5]
Well I did my last years of schooling in the early eighties so saw a *massive* change in the facilities.

When I started upper school there was one, yes one computer in the whole school! This was a Research Machines 380Z. A lumbering beast where you loaded the BASIC interpreter in on 5 1/4" floppy disks. This was 1981 thought so everything was about to exploder, the ZX81, spectrum, Vic20, C64, BBC Micro all got launched within the next couple of years.

So by the time I left upper school there was a dedicated computer room with 15 BBC Micro Bs hooked up to microvitec cub monitors.

I think it was far more interesting back then. Everything was new and innovative and revolutionary. Now everything is just evolutionary. Back in the 80s you either used BASIC or for performance you dropped into Z80/6502 assembler. Now there is 101 languages and 2d/3d game development tools/frameworks. Almost too much choice!

John Galt(Posted 2014) [#6]
I think it was far more interesting back then. Everything was new and innovative and revolutionary. Now everything is just evolutionary. Back in the 80s you either used BASIC or for performance you dropped into Z80/6502 assembler. Now there is 101 languages and 2d/3d game development tools/frameworks. Almost too much choice!
Agreed. I wouldn't trade growing up in that pioneering era for anything!