Facebook buys Oculus for $2BN

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Facebook buys Oculus for $2BN

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#1]
http://kotaku.com/facebook-buys-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-1551487939

I wonder where this is taking Valve et. al, who are also working on VR tech

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#2]
Well, that's the end of Oculus. It reminds me of when Microsoft bought Skype.

Samah(Posted 2014) [#3]
Step 1: Plug in shiny new Oculus Rift.
Step 2: "Please sign into Facebook."
Step 3: Return Oculus Rift.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#4]
If it does have any forced connection to facebook i wont be buying one.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#5]
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/03/25/minecraft-creator-cancels-talks-oculus-rift-version-facebook-creeps/

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#6]
If the people who paid into the Oculus to make it a success don't receive some money, I can see a mass lawsuit on the way. Seeing as how the Kickstarter people were basically producers for it and then they just sold it against the wills of the people who started them, I can't see this going down a good road.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#7]
Well there's at least 2bn they will have to get back from the end user to justify their purchase price. Expensive hardware and/or full of ads will be the end result IMHO.

Raph(Posted 2014) [#8]
Backers got what they paid for -- a dev kit, or a t shirt, or whatever. So there's no legal standing whatsoever for a lawsuit.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#9]
Kickstarter is not a buying-selling service. They could argue that they were funding the company who has now backed away from their obligations of the product. On top of that, people have gotten their money back in other lawsuits with donation type systems in the USA. Remember, just because you don't think it could happen or would have no legal grounds, it's the USA we're talking about. Someone sued and won over spilling hot coffee on themselves for being an idiot.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#10]
Someone sued and won over spilling hot coffee on themselves for being an idiot.

just for the record: http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/Default.asp

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#11]
That movie was made by a lawyer who believes that her side is right (like all lawyers, because they're super egotistical) and totally ignores the fact that what the women did was in fact stupid. Ignorance is no excuse. I've burned my hands with hot water after cooking it in the microwave. So I should be able to sue the microwave manufacturer right? Right?!

Anyways, the USA does have a lot of stupid lawsuits whether or not people want to believe it. Sit in one of their courthouses for a day and just watch as moron after moron is seen. That's why I can see a case for the people who paid into the Oculus Rift.

Edit: Let me make it clear that I am completely indifferent to this news. I have no interest in Oculus. I just want to point out things.

skid(Posted 2014) [#12]
I'd be more worried if facebook changed it's font.

I raise my glass to the lucky palmer, look forward to the movie etc.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#13]
>hot coffee

> I've burned my hands with hot water after cooking it in the microwave. So I should be able to sue the microwave manufacturer right? Right?!

Please stop using this as an example of a frivolous lawsuit because it's not.

McFact No. 1: For years, McDonald's had known they had a problem with the way they make their coffee - that their coffee was served much hotter (at least 20 degrees more so) than at other restaurants.

McFact No. 2: McDonald's knew its coffee sometimes caused serious injuries - more than 700 incidents of scalding coffee burns in the past decade have been settled by the Corporation - and yet they never so much as consulted a burn expert regarding the issue.

McFact No. 3: The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay.

McFact No. 4: The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills.

McFact No. 5: A McDonald's quality assurance manager testified in the case that the Corporation was aware of the risk of serving dangerously hot coffee and had no plans to either turn down the heat or to post warning about the possibility of severe burns, even though most customers wouldn't think it was possible.

McFact No. 6: After careful deliberation, the jury found McDonald's was liable because the facts were overwhelmingly against the company. When it came to the punitive damages, the jury found that McDonald's had engaged in willful, reckless, malicious, or wanton conduct, and rendered a punitive damage award of 2.7 million dollars. (The equivalent of just two days of coffee sales, McDonalds Corporation generates revenues in excess of 1.3 million dollars daily from the sale of its coffee, selling 1 billion cups each year.)

McFact No. 7: On appeal, a judge lowered the award to $480,000, a fact not widely publicized in the media.

McFact No. 8: A report in Liability Week, September 29, 1997, indicated that Kathleen Gilliam, 73, suffered first degree burns when a cup of coffee spilled onto her lap. Reports also indicate that McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20 degrees hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability to the victims for many months, and in some cases, years.

>Kickstarter is not a buying-selling service

In part it is, another part is just paying money people without expecting anything in return. There is no expectation that people who give money have a stake in the company, that they own anything not being sold to them explicitly, that they deserve compensation that the company they supported sold out.

This event may make people think twice about supporting companies on KS. Many companies which are good at marketing as the cool people will sell out given a good price, and even more than 1B is crazy money.

There will be more VR companies. OR doesn't have a monopoly. Facebook buying OR may make other investors fund new competitors, which will be good for devs and gamers alike.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#14]
Soap, let me just say that I genuinely don't care. I really, really, just don't care. I'm quite a heartless person. I saw that case for what it was, the acceptance of ignorance. I will not take back my thoughts or statements as it's clear as day to me that stupid is becoming more accepted. To believe something hot couldn't hurt you is ignorance.

>Kickstarter is not a buying-selling service
In part it is, another part is just paying money people without expecting anything in return.

No, the point of Kickstarter from the very beginning was the idea of the little guy getting in and being able to help produce what they wanted instead of just production companies.

Regardless, fair is fair, and I think the people that made the project huge enough to succeed so much so that someone would buy it for 2 billion, do deserve something, if not just their money back from the Kickstarter. A measly 2.5 million is a penny in comparison to the 400 million in cash they have plus the 1.6 billion in stocks. It could also give them good PR. But whatever, I don't really care. I didn't support it as VR isn't really my thing.

wiebow(Posted 2014) [#15]
Agree 100% goodlookinguy.

Oddball(Posted 2014) [#16]
Ordered an Oculus Rift dev kit 2 today. Seems like a good time to jump in on this now that it's actually getting some serious backing.