Unreal Engine 4

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Unreal Engine 4

Soap(Posted 2014) [#1]
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

Any Monkey X3D on the horizon?

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#2]
Stuff on this looks lovely but it takes ages to compile and seems to have issues deploying to android if you use c++ :(

Raul(Posted 2014) [#3]
CryEngine also annoucne their 9 $ / month plan.

Now with Unity5 and Unreal Engine 4 will be a very interesting competition.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#4]
I know you can use C# with Unity, but it looks like unreal is C++. I just don't have any interest in coding in C++.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#5]
Unity implements code changes in a few seconds, unreal full compiles :/

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#6]
Any decent C++ compiler will initially create a bunch of static libs and only recompile the tiny changed parts of your code, using the linker to stick them all together at the last minute. It's normally a very fast process, once the initial compile is completed.

It's a monster of an Engine though, feature wise. Ideally something like this combined with the native output from Monkey X would be a killer dev setup but the amount of work it would take to get both of these talking together would be scary, to say the least IMHO.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#7]
It seems it defaults to some massive compile mode, you can change a setting and it will only compile the file you changed.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#8]
Well that's a real game changer. You get full access to the engine source, code in C++ (I like that) and have a very low price. You can even pay $19 once and cancel again. You still may use it just don't get the major updates then.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#9]
Yep. It is an extremely good deal. The 5% cut is really nothing. Dev these days have it really good. In the not so distant past the biggest portals too as much as 80% of sales if you wanted to distribute on them. Or even less than that if you wanted to do a retail deal... you would be lucky to get a few cents a sale if you even got paid at all!

Even Unity I do not like. I wish for a super simple cross platform engine which can do low poly really well. Low poly games are all I have interest in making. Nothing hyper realistic, or reliant on massive amounts of engine processing to make it look good ever. Just simple polygons and really good textures.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#10]
Unity is easier to use than UE4, especially if you're scripting. UE4 does look lovely on the right hardware though.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#11]
Why do you think so smilertoo? This blueprint stuff (visual coding/scripting) is ages ahead.

smilertoo(Posted 2014) [#12]
Probably just because i'm used to c# and unity compiles it very quickly.