Free Windows 8.1

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Free Windows 8.1

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
Seems like MS are thinking about giving away a free windows 8.1 with the build name "Windows 8.1 with Bing" .

How many of you who do not have Win8 already will actually install it ?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#2]
I will do. To Virtual Machine :)

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#3]
I already have it. Thanks to my Dreamspark account at no cost. ;)

dragon(Posted 2014) [#4]
Win8.1 is great...
I only hate colorful tiles... Win8.0 have better tiles...

But MS long term plan is a free Windows (with Ads) - as Cloud Windows (something like ChromeOS).
So Win8.x or 9 could be last "good" (=cloud free) Windows...

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#5]
Free poop is still poop.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#6]
I will download it burn it to a data DVD, try it and immediately the next day re-install Windows 7 and use Windows 8.1 data DVD as a tea coaster.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/microsoft-will-let-you-try-windows-8-1-for-free-8-1-update-on-april-8th/

deskjethp(Posted 2014) [#7]
I would get it if I didn't already have 8.1. 8.1 isn't bad if you use the right tools to avoid the metro interface and just change it back to the way 7 was with a regular start menu etc. I'd be put off by ads though. I'd rather keep the machine ad free.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#8]
This Windows 8.1 with bing is a ultra cheap version for device manufacturers that is ultra cheap, but requires them to leave Bing as the default search engine. Device users will be able to modify this later if they wish, it's just that manufacturers are not allowed to customize this by licensing therms with Microsoft. This version won't be available to retail buyers, it'll be only available to device manufacturers and the idea is to be able to provide even cheaper windows 8.1 devices. So no, no free Windows 8.1 for us, and no ads on windows, or the like. Also, notice that this version will be only available to manufacturers when they distribute devices priced less than 250$ in the retail market.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-bing-revealed

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#9]
Seems like a good plan to reduce the risk of Windows getting overwhelmed from below with cheap devices.