New keyboard =(

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/New keyboard =(

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#1]
Thought id take advantage of a good offer on ebuyer to buy a new keyboard, wish i didin't now my productiivity has droppe dby probably 80% cus i keep pressing the wrong keys, seems I M Always 1 key too far to the left arrgggg! I'll stick in there cus my new baclite keyboard loos cool. I;m sure I'll get used to it.

old keyboRrd = Microsoft 2000
new Keyboard = Stealserise RAW

[BTW] the above is as I typed it on my keyboard I am not that bad usually.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
I feel your pain, Cola ended the life of the best Keyboard I will ever own G17, and the thing I got from ebay was a total disaster, some European keyboard with stuff not where I expected it, I tried for a month to learn it but I guess I'm to old and had to cave and get an emergency number from the local town :( at least I know where the special keys are and I don't have to look at my keyboard for 10 seconds to find them.

Is that board one of those that pile the numpad keys together with a toggle button ? I had one of those as well what a nightmare that was lol.. you don't realize how much you use the numpad keys until you need to hit an extra button to actually toggle them on/off from the pageup/down etc keys.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#3]
Just be glad you never had to work in something like this:

"Ouch, made a mistake on my 2000 words essay, let's fix it... no! nooo! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
Still to the date I wonder who was the genius that had the brilliant idea to put "delete" and "power" buttons close together!

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#4]
It doesn't take much to ruin a keyboard. All it takes is scaring the keyboard with a teaspoon and its gone for good. Had this happen a few months go on the best keyboard that I had.
Still to the date I wonder who was the genius that had the brilliant idea to put "delete" and "power" buttons close together!
It was me. Because I'm a sadistic bas***d .

GfK(Posted 2014) [#5]
I have a Razer Blackwidow (the non-backlit version).

I had a play with one in PC World when I got sick of my Microsoft Curve (bent) keyboard. Bit pricey but I could not leave the shop without one. Mechanical keyboards are awesome to type on.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#6]
I was looking at these the other week, but that looks nice GfK.

How much did PC World bend you over for?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#7]
Mechanical keyboards are awesome to type on.

True... but wow they can be loud!

impixi(Posted 2014) [#8]
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard user here. Biggest pile of rubbish keyboard I've ever owned, and the most expensive.. It's only a few months old (and very well treated) yet I'm getting repeats from numerous keys regardless of installed OS and after cleaning the keys, etc. Not to mention the driver requires an *online* login to enable the "advanced" features. Boycotting Razer from now on...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2014) [#9]
I ended up with several of those "power keys between cursor and edit block" keyboards back in the 90s. A few seconds of work with a screwdriver sorted them out.

I shelled out to import a Unicomp "Model M" at one point and that was great until a pint of beer took it out. Since then I've increasingly been using laptops, which means getting used to mushy, low travel typing. I still struggle with the low-mid range consumer desktop keyboards though. I've got a Logitech that I've never gotten comfortable with. If I ever go back to working at the desktop more again I'll have to get another buckling spring/high-end cherry switch keyboard.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
Here is mine, a little dirty, but I hit that fkn power button one to many time's when aiming at the PrntScr button.

Bye Bye Power | Sleep .... and forget what the third one was but its gone also lol.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#11]
How much did PC World bend you over for?
I think it was £90? Somewhere around there.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard user here. Biggest pile of rubbish keyboard I've ever owned, and the most expensive.. It's only a few months old (and very well treated) yet I'm getting repeats from numerous keys regardless of installed OS and after cleaning the keys, etc.
Maybe you've just got a faulty one? It happens. Mine's been faultless in the year or so I've had it. Get it swapped, it's still under warranty.

Not to mention the driver requires an *online* login to enable the "advanced" features. Boycotting Razer from now on...
It actually doesn't. The whole point of Razer Synapse is that it allows you to login to sync your hardware settings (remember this is technically a gaming keyboard), and it will also automatically grab drivers for any Razer hardware you have connected. Once it's done that (say, after an OS reinstall), everything will be back as it was, and you can just set it to run in Offline Mode.

I really like Razer stuff - I have a Death Adder mouse, too. It's all been rock-solid. I'll continue to use/recommend it until I experience otherwise.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#12]
Bye Bye Power | Sleep .... and forget what the third one was but its gone also lol.

You could have just soft-remapped those keys BTW. ;)

impixi(Posted 2014) [#13]

It actually doesn't. The whole point of Razer Synapse is that it allows you to login to sync your hardware settings (remember this is technically a gaming keyboard), and it will also automatically grab drivers for any Razer hardware you have connected. Once it's done that (say, after an OS reinstall), everything will be back as it was, and you can just set it to run in Offline Mode.

When I had the Razer Synapse 2 driver installed late last year, an online login screen popped up EVERY time I booted into Windows, with no built-in way to stop that from happening. Sure, I didn't have to log in, but failure to do so meant the macro keys did not work. That's ridiculous and unnecessary for a *keyboard* driver. I now have a Steelseries Apex *gaming* keyboard with more features than the BlackWindow, and that does not require an online login to enable them.

And the fact that anyone should have to do as you suggested (reinstall an OS) to help enable features on a keyboard is proof to me that Razer is not a company worth supporting. I'm perplexed that you would defend such policies... But if that's how you like to be treated as a paying customer, by all means, keep buying Razer products...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#14]
You could have just soft-remapped those keys BTW. ;)

Yeah but I felt fkn brilliant for about an hour after taking a hammer to all three of them, the trigger was hitting it and killing about 1 hours worth of code and 5 or 6 hours worth of art, so yeah.. I could have but it would not have given me the same satisfaction :)

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#15]
LOL, I think I know what you mean, sounded like you had major stress relief moment! :D

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#16]
And the fact that anyone should have to do as you suggested (reinstall an OS) to help enable features on a keyboard is proof to me that Razer is not a company worth supporting. I'm perplexed that you would defend such policies... But if that's how you like to be treated as a paying customer, by all means, keep buying Razer products...

I think you have misunderstood what he said.

He was not saying that you have to re-install to get features working, he was saying that once you do all the online setup shenanigans (once) and store them you can then set it to "offline mode" so it doesn't ask for a login each time you boot.

Then if in the future you have to reinstall for any reason, getting the keyboard back to the way it was set up before the re-install is as simple as logging in (once) and it downloads all your previous settings back to the keyboard.

It's a gaming keyboard so I would imagine that includes bindings for various games, macros, hotkeys or whatever else funky shizz the keyboard does.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#17]
therevills wrote:
Mechanical keyboards are awesome to type on.
True... but wow they can be loud!

It's not matter when you are working... and when it is low cost.. I bought IBM M2 mechanical keyboard about $1 in local second hand shop and another noname white alps (like chery blue) for $1 too. Sometimes I changes them on my table.

Before I used BTC 5109. It has classic layout, silent membrane, full size keys. The great keyboard for its price - 13 USD.
All my MS keyboards (ergo, natural, curve) went to trash.

impixi(Posted 2014) [#18]
@rIKmAN: My point is such nonsense shouldn't be necessary at all, even once. Good companies do not force their customers to jump through such hoops and concoct workarounds to get a product fully functional. Surely you would agree with that? If not, then, well, I'm more of a pariah dinosaur than I thought. I'll just hunker down with my SteelSeries Apex replacement keyboard that has fully functional, NON-cloud-dependent features and let the other guys endure the Razer-instigated shenanigans. ;)

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#19]
Well I could not get on with that new Steelserise keyboard so I splashed the cash (£70) for a fancy mechanical keyboard the "CM Storm Quick Fire TK", White Backlte with Brown switches, learned something new along the regarding MX switches which is nice. Just five minutes of use has convinced me I am never going to back to cheap (or expensive) membrane keyboards. Sure I wont eat for 2 weeks now but hey I got a good keyboard.

If anyone (UK only please) wants to make an offer for my Steelserise [RAW] keyboard (only had it a few days, practically no use) please drop me a mail.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#20]
And the fact that anyone should have to do as you suggested (reinstall an OS) to help enable features on a keyboard is proof to me that Razer is not a company worth supporting.
....except that isn't anything like what I actually said. I was simply pointing out that if you have keyboard macros etc set up for gaming, you do NOT need to redo the lot when you reinstall your OS, as Razer Synapse stores your settings remotely and restores everything automatically. At no point did I say you should reinstall the OS to enable the keyboard's features. Quite where you got that from, I don't know.

Or to put it another way:
I think you have misunderstood what he said.

He was not saying that you have to re-install to get features working, he was saying that once you do all the online setup shenanigans (once) and store them you can then set it to "offline mode" so it doesn't ask for a login each time you boot.

Then if in the future you have to reinstall for any reason, getting the keyboard back to the way it was set up before the re-install is as simple as logging in (once) and it downloads all your previous settings back to the keyboard.

It's a gaming keyboard so I would imagine that includes bindings for various games, macros, hotkeys or whatever else funky shizz the keyboard does.

That ^^

impixi(Posted 2014) [#21]
@Gfk: My misinterpretation then. I thought you were suggesting some sort of workaround, because at the time I had to endure Razer's nonsense, I had to login to Razer's "cloud" EVERY time I booted into Windows, not once, to activate the macro features. There was no "offline" mode. Macros were not stored locally, they were in the "cloud". You could not disable the Synapse login dialog from popping up unless it was set to automatically log-in - which took a noticeable chunk of time.

Maybe this policy has changed? Can you now actually install the Synapse 2 driver, NOT create an account in Razer's "cloud", adjust the backlight, and set up some macros? All preserved when you reboot your computer? If so, then, yay! Razer finally "listened"...