Many apps or many targets?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Many apps or many targets?

tiresius(Posted 2013) [#1]
I read in the monkey manual it is recommended to stick to one or two targets at most and create several apps as opposed to spending time pushing your game to every platform/market out there. If this is some common knowledge can someone explain why this is the suggested approach?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#2]
There's a manual?

Anyway I can't agree with that. The whole point of Monkey is that you can push to any target you like, if you think it is worthwhile. Once you've sorted things out for every screen size and aspect ratio (and input device), you just need to convert the SFX.

That doesn't mean firing at every target just because you can - but if you want to try a new one, why wouldn't you?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#3]
If you can build a successful framework with multiple targets in mind, you shouldn't have to worry about what device the end result is running on.
About the only thing I can think of that I'm still doing target-specific is probably the controls.
For the most part, my framework runs a simple control mechanic, but if I'm targeting OUYA, I can fiddle with extra analogue controls, or if I'm targeting touchscreen devices, I can play about with poking the screen!
... But that's pretty much it..
Once you've got a stable resolution/ratio/orientation independent framework, you can pretty much throw anything at the thing, and it runs.

Focus on getting the groundwork working, first, then worry about everything else as it comes.