Xamarin partnership with Microsoft

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Xamarin partnership with Microsoft

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Very interesting move from both companies:
http://blog.xamarin.com/microsoft-and-xamarin-partner-globally/
I wonder how long till Apple bans Xamarin Apps in their devices... ?

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#2]
Uh that won't be good for Apple. Unity uses Mono as well so I doubt Apple will do anything in that direction.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
The good thing is that Xamarin compiles natively using the LLVM, instead of using Java on Android, or Objective-C on iOs, and it is very very good at performance. I doubt they go the "performance and battery" route as they did to ban Flash on their devices.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#4]
As a .Net programmer myself - good move!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#5]
Its a very good move for both companies IMHO. This drastically extends the C# language at the least to cover all non-Microsoft OSes and allows Xamarin to keep up-to-date with the frameworks as MS releases a new framework. I see this as a VERY positive thing for all of us .NET developers :)

One thing I always wished Xamarin would do is drop the .exe from the non-MS OSes and release it to a binary extension (or extension less) that applies to the OS.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#6]
Historically, partnering with MS seems to consistently work our rather poorly for the 'partner' in question.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#7]
But there are no historic references of Microsoft being a partner that helps port their technology to Apple and Android. That's what makes it very interesting this time. We'll see how it all goes.