"Monkey.exe" Virus Warning?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/"Monkey.exe" Virus Warning?

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

Anyone using Avast getting a ("Win32:Evo-Gen [Susp]") virus warning or am I the only lucky one? :P

I am 99.99% sure its a false-positive but no harm in making sure.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#2]
I got it a few months ago with Bullguard. Can't remember what the supposed virus was.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#3]
If capable, within Avast, send the .exe to them so they can verify it, update their virus databases which should stop others getting the same alert.

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#4]
Will do. I've put Monkey.exe on the virus exclusion list but my daft backup software, copies via pseudo random name to the backup dir. Avast can only exclude it via a given name, so when Monkey.exe is renamed Avast see's it as a new virus file and throws up a warning followed by sticking it in the virus chest. I've had to exclude my backup dir now and the backup apps temp folder... what a PITA lol!

Salmakis(Posted 2013) [#5]
you could also just unsinstall Avast, lol.

i Run my computer without any virus or even Firewall software for years and never had any trouble ;D

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#6]
I hear ya Salmakis. I just make sure the firewall on my router stays up. Pay attention to perculiar things and download from sites that you know are safe. All that extra software is just extra baggage to bog down the performance of my computer. It feels like the Anti-Virus development teams are writing the viruses just so that you will buy their products! (LOL, I know its not true, but sure does seem like it!)

Soap(Posted 2013) [#7]
The problem with false positives is it creates trouble when users complain about the false positives. If it happens PLEASE report the exe to the AV and explain that the exe was created with a dev tool anyone can use and that the runtime shouldn't be marked as malware as a whole.

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#8]
I don't want this to sound patronising or start a flame war..

But if you are a Windows user, please make sure you do have antivirus installed, and kept up to date. It's a basic hygiene measure and anyone who is running their PC without this basic control in place is at risk of getting infected/ compromised. Using Windows machines without antivirus is like driving without using a seatbelt.

IMHO, of course :-)

Soap(Posted 2013) [#9]
OS X and Linux are no more secure than Windows if in the hands of the common user. Most of the time it is user error which allows for infection. There are more Windows users so more chance of user error. If you don't have browser plugins installed, and don't run untrusted programs, your chances of your computer getting infected are slim. Even then a large number of Windows users do have AV on, while the same can't be said for Mac/Linux users as their common uses have a false sense of security. All it takes is to run and give permission to one bad program and your computer gets owned no matter the OS, and if the malware is new and not using common methods even AV won't be able to stop the user error of running it.

anawiki(Posted 2013) [#10]
@silentshark: I'm with Salmakis. AV software is just waste of time, computer performance and money. I have so many friends that use AV and still get infected and I don't have AV and don't get infected. In 20 years of computing my computer was infected 3 times only and fixing the issue wasn't as hard as living with AV 24/7.

:)

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#11]
@Soap: Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better. People using Mac/Linux also get the false secure feeling because they are not prone to Windows viruses. Which are far more common.

@silentshark: Its all in the eye of the beholder. If you "feel" better about having such applications installed, go for it. In my experience, they provide me no further protection from an attack with them on or off. Just using good sense gets you a long way in keeping your computer running tip top shape. I will not argue about your personal views on how you wish to manage your computers, but none of my computers run any of this software. I have Mac, Linux, and Windows all happy running behind my firewall, and I have't had any issues in the past 15 years running like this. I've built many computers and installed endless pieces of software upon them. Like Soap stated, its the user that makes their system fail with loads of harmful software. Rarely have I seen a virus spread on its own that is so destructive that a nice AV app could have prevented it from spreading. We did have one here at work, but again it was a user that ran the apps that allowed it to spread. Infact, with the virus definition completely up to date and on full alert, it still spread unknowingly until we encountered performance issues.

That said, if I ever encountered a virus, I'd simply wipe the computer clean and intstall the OS again. Some people have so many viruses on their computers that it couldn't possibly function.

I've always told anyone that asked my opinion is that it would be up to them. If they felt it would benefit them then install the sw and keep it updated. Regardless of what they did with that, I'd tell them to keep an eye out for what they are doing online and what goes into their disk or USB drives.

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#12]
A few years ago I lost(the bank repaid it to me, eventually) over £3000 to a keyboard trojan. A large brick appeared in my trousers that night I can tell you! Never again have I touched a computer without decent anti-virus software installed.

In this instance I still dont think its a virus, the errors started appearing after installing a new low level profiler. I think it added some sort of hook into Monkey.exe when I profiled my game, meh! :P

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#13]
one of the perils of being a dev or a hacker or both is that certain overzealous virus scanners aren't made for you or me, and treat common dev / hack tools as malicious, which they certainly can be in the wrong hands. But it shouldn't be up to them to decide! Which is why I agree with the posters who say AV is usually a waste of time. To stay safe, I use NoScript and basically never install anything I can't validate inside out :)

If you absolutely must have some form of virus protection, I recommend MSE, formerly Windows Defender. It runs in the background and stays out of your way. I run it on my work laptop, which doesn't need to be as fast or optimized as my main machine, and is potentially exposed to more hazards from surfing on dirty wi-fi connections.....

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#14]
I don't worry much about viruses (agree that they are generally the result of user error), but I tend to use an AV just as an additional precaution. I would do without if it was too intrusive, though.