Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi guys,

I installed the iATKOS version of Lion on my late 2007 Macbook a week or so ago and generally it's workign great. The only reason I did this was because I was unable to buy and download Lion from the Mac/ITunes store.
The only problem is when I try to shut down or reboot, the machine seems to go through the motions and the screen goes black, but I can hear the computer does not complete the process as the fan stays on full blast and the power LED stays on and nothing happens from there.
When I physically power it off and on again, all works fine, but when back in OS X it says there was an error and to submit the report to Apple, which I obviously haven't done.

Does anybody here know if there are options I need to change/set in the iATKOS config that might fix this issue?

Other than that, everything works a treat.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#2]
If you still want to purchase the OS from Apple, according to this article (dated January 2013), you just need to call Apple and they wil charge you the $20 (or whatever your currency is) and send you a redemption code. You can then install Lion on your computer :)

Other than that, I wish I could point you to the issue. My guess is the change the iATKOS team made to one of the libraries isn't working.

I did a quick search on Google for "iATKOS not shutting down in Lion" (no quotes) and quite a bit showed up. Hopefully you can find something to help you there :)

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks for the info computercoder. I resolved it after doing some searches as you suggested. The consensus seemed to appear that since it's running on a real macbook, to remove FakeSMC.kext, which I did after making a copy.
It appears my macbook can now restart and shutdown again, woot!

Oh the other reason I didn't call Apple was the fact that since I installed iATKOS, I have been unable to "restore" to snow leopard. I tried installing from the supplied discs the machine came with but I got a round icon with a line through, as if it's not able to install on this hardware. I got the same icon when I tried installing iATKOS ML. So I'm pretty much stuck with iATKOS Lion edition now from what I can tell as the machine refuses to do a fresh install from the SL discs it came with. No biggy, now that I've resolved this restart/shutdown issue.

I would happily pay Apple for the software, but since they won't let me install it on my old hardware, it's their loss.
Also, you can't buy Lion here in the UK from Apple anymore.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thats cool you got it working :)

I made a Hackintosh in 2009 (just to do it) and those kext files can drive you crazy. Those are the library files, but if they aren't just right with your hardware, it wreaks havoc on the operation of Mac OS X :( I had just about everything running 100% except I had to force my CPU to be used as a single core instead of the dual core it was. I still have it, and it probably *could* run OS X 10.8. Its really not worth it now. I'd need to upgrade the video card with one that has HDMI on it as the monitors I have only have HDMI or Standard Composite... no DVI or VGA connectors! My new MacBook Pro is coming at Christmas, so I can hold out with my 2006 MacBook Pro :)

I'd figure by the time Mavericks comes out, Lion will disappear entirely from Apple as an OS option to purchase. Actually, I was rather surprised that the option was still available when I found that article.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah I'm not sure how long Apple will support Xcode 4.5.x much longer, but I suspect things will change once Mavericks comes out. Worst case scenario, I can still build GLFW games for Mac desktop :-)