Windows 8.1 RTM on MSDN?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Windows 8.1 RTM on MSDN?

Amon(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi! I got an email that MSDN had the RTM of Windows 8.1 available to Subscribers. I've downloaded it and generated 1 of the 10 keys I was given.

When I try to install I get to a point where it asks if I want to Keep all my files and documents or to keep nothing. I've tried googling but can't find an exact bit of info on whether it keeps installed apps also.

So, if anyone else has installed it, if you select Keep Files, will it keep your installed apps e.g. Unity, Monkey etc!or will it remove them and keep just your personal files in the MyDocuments Library?

I am not in a position atm to reinstall/activate all my software simply because it will require a heck of a lot of time. Forgetting the time it will take though, why would it even need to delete or remove all my Installed Software to install a .1 upgrade?

Ta!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#2]
In the past, Microsoft has done well with keeping applications and user settings intact during an upgrade. At the same time, their track record for jacking that all up is about equal to their track record for doing it smoothly. I haven't read anything on 8.1 RTM and how well it does update. Normally when an update occurs, it only changes the system files that it knows about. It doesn't delete the folders and recreate them. Third party apps usually go un-affected unless MS changed something in the APIs they use in a negative way for them to operate correctly.

I sincerely hope they made it smooth, and continue to do so. On my Mac, nearly every update has gone practically unnoticed, other than the new features of the updated OS. Personal files and Apps stay in place UNLESS the support for them has been deprecated. At least it tells me that when it finds apps like that.

I agree with you that I'd be apprehensive about installing the update. I nearly always cringe whenever there's a new big update from Microsoft.

Whiteball(Posted 2013) [#3]
slightly off topic...

I missed (and now regret) not taking up Microsofts offer of upgrading from Win7 to 8 for £25.

Is 8 really worth the £90 plus it would cost me now to upgrade? Is it that much better than 7?

sort of back on topic...
I heard this 8.1 was also going to be able to install from scratch as well as updating existing 8 installs. Maybe that is why it has those sort of questions?

dopeyrulz(Posted 2013) [#4]
They haven't released an 'update' release yet - this is coming in October.

impixi(Posted 2013) [#5]
The more I use Windows 8, the less I like it. I hope 8.1 is significantly improved, though I can't see how it could be, given Microsoft is sticking with their ridiculous Metro paradigm. A desktop PC is not the same as a mobile touch device, yet we're expected to use the same interface, and develop for it as if it were? WTF.

And being a hobbyist "system builder", Microsoft's licensing policies drive me nuts. If it weren't for my gaming addiction, I'd switch to Linux Mint without hesitation.

/rant.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#6]
Well, after installing the 8.1 update and going back to the desktop, I have now got to reactivate every single piece of software.

Any software that needs a serial number has to have it the serial reassigned and every program/software that required activation has to be reactivated.

The update also deleted my GoogleDrive folder as well as the preferences for every single program/software that I have.

I wouldn't mind but according to M$ the upgrade from 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro would not impact installed software.

My @SS!

impixi(Posted 2013) [#7]
@Amon: What's worse is all that activation/serial code nonsense doesn't perform its intended task (piracy prevention). It's a complete waste of time, effort and expense. Ah, stating the obvious, I am!

So, is 8.1 'better' than 8.0? Worth the hassles? Too soon for a judgement, I guess...