Just some screens...

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Just some screens...

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#1]
First things first, how do I scale these images in this site's wacky version of bbcode?

Here I'm posting screenshots of my latest and most complex project yet. I'm currently targeting this project's development to be designed in ENIGMA ( http://WWW.enigma-dev.org/ ) and GameMaker:Studio ( http://www.yoyogames.com/ ).

However, I'm also considering to create a version of it in Monkey, (Specifically for the XNA target, but it's a shame the new XBox360 coming out won't support it so I'm not sure if it will be worth it yet). If I decide to not create that version down the road I'll announce that in this topic so it can be locked or deleted.

The game's title (along with a lot of other surprises) will not be mentioned until I release the game for the first time on...

1) Ubuntu Software Center / Other Linux OS AppStores ($7.99) - Made with ENIGMA
2) Amazon Android AppStore ($1.99) - Made with GameMaker:Studio
3) Google Play ($1.99) - Made with GameMaker:Studio
4) OUYA AppStore ($7.99) - Made with GameMaker:Studio
5) Tizen AppStore ($1.99) - Made with GameMakee:Studio
6) XBox LIVE ($7.99) - I'm really hoping for Monkey to support this with Microsoft's new dev-kit (Which Microsoft may or may not choose hand this out to New Zealand, and XNA is now public domain, so it's not looking good)

..and of coarse the demos for each platform will be free

The game is a first person, pre-rendered, point-and-click adventure. The game's setting is in a make-believe Bible Arts and History Museum.The scene you see in the screenshots is rather empty and unfinished - that will change overtime...

Here's a map for the first floor:

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#2]
not to be a killjoy or anything but this is the monkey projects forum, and it looks like this is made with gamemaker would this post not be better suited to the gamemaker forums?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#3]
You know that besides XBox you can use Monkey to also export to:

- Amazon Android AppStore
- Google Play
- OUYA AppStore

...and even to iOS. Just one question though: why the game will be so much more expensive ($8) in OUYA/XBox, while on other targets you're asking for only $2?

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#4]
I'm pretty sure you cannot resize the images using the forum codes, so resize them yourself and link to the smaller ones.

The floor map is a decent size and doesn't break the forum, so maybe resize them all to that size?

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#5]

You know that besides XBox you can use Monkey to also export to:

- Amazon Android AppStore
- Google Play
- OUYA AppStore

...and even to iOS.

I was already well aware of that.

Just one question though: why the game will be so much more expensive ($8) in OUYA/XBox, while on other targets you're asking for only $2?

Because games for consoles and computers are typically more costly than on mobile devices. People are more willing to pay a higher pricetag when it comes to just about anything other than mobile. Countless cross platform developers use this kind of pricing...

I'm pretty sure you cannot resize the images using the forum codes, so resize them yourself and link to the smaller ones.

The floor map is a decent size and doesn't break the forum, so maybe resize them all to that size?

I'm kinda in a hurry so I'll do that tomorrow...

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#6]
If you can't be bothered to resize your screenshots, I dread to imagine how big your game is.

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#7]
Now I don't want to resize the screenshots. First off, just because I have priorities, appointments, and an actual life (I'm not saying you don't) doesn't at all imply I intend to release this game as ""finished"" in it's current state or any state it might be in for the next year or so (bare minimum).

So yeah it's gonna be a long game. I've added more detail to this game just what you see in the screens standalone than a lot of "completed" and popular games you can find nowadays (IE, Mr. Karoshi and a lot of other visually limited pixel art games.) I'm honestly not trying to sound rude lol, I've noticed overtime that I sound more harsh than what I intend a lot of the time, I just take a lot of pride in my work. Please don't take offense to this reply there is none intended. :-)

I know it's not a lot to look at now but in time you'll be surprised. I don't intend to post more screens for a while now (I'd like to wait until there is a lot more to show of my work).

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#8]
Well that is a pretty shitty attitude I think!

I don't really think it's a matter of you "wanting" to resize the screenshots, I think it's something you should do because they are way too big to post and have broken the forum layout.

Why should we be bothered to look at this thread again when you can't even be arsed to make it viewable for us?

Plus the fact that the images are 2-3mb in size EACH, and have NOTHING TO DO WITH MONKEY - well that is just plain ridiculous.

Basic forum etiquette.

Volker(Posted 2013) [#9]
Now I don't want to resize the screenshots

Haven't done that for years, what a great chance, thanks!

* plonk *

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]

Plus the fact that the images are 2-3mb in size EACH, and have NOTHING TO DO WITH MONKEY - well that is just plain ridiculous.

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#11]
None of this is really the big deal you guys are trying to make it to be. Maybe I should just upload them smaller because of these shitty attitudes.

Unless you have a prehistoric computer that uses a severly outdated internet provider, I see no reason to size them down other than to stop all this whining about it.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#12]
Well unfortunately my Monitor is not the size of a wall so that top image I only see half of its face.

These are all Mute points tho, you are posting something that is completely unrelated to monkey on a monkey forum in the monkey projects section, now I'm not saying you shouldn't post it, but at least put it in the right place.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#13]
None of this is really the big deal you guys are trying to make it to be. Maybe I should just upload them smaller because of these shitty attitudes.

No, you should upload smaller versions because they don't fit in the forum and break it.

Is it really that hard to resize some screenshots so (a) they fit and (b) are at least 1/4 of the size, or should the whole forum pander to your ignorance?
The only person with an attitude here is you, and if I wanted to look at new gamemaker projects, I would go to the gamemaker forums!

God help one of your customers reports a problem with the game.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#14]
Re: screenshots

some of the popular photo sharing sites have image resizing built in.
i use Photobucket for hosting any images here, and it allows resizing using its image editor.

heck, http://imagevenue.com/ you dont need to login, and they create a thumbnail for you. people can click on it to enlarge it (although the forum codes are a little off):

EDIT:WHOOOPS, don't use that, it had a pr0n pop-under... ugh...

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#15]
Also some people access the site from their phones. 2/3Mb images would be ridiculously big to download on those devices via 2G/3G connections.

If you don't want to resize them, just post a link to the images somewhere else.

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#16]
I have an attitude because you are whining about me not giving you what you want. Right. I'll try to remember that ...

In other news in case none of you guys know how to read the first post, the XNA version will be written in monkey ...