Jolla Target for Monkey?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Jolla Target for Monkey?

programmer(Posted 2013) [#1]
Jolla’s first batch of Sailfish smartphones is fully booked
Finnish startup Jolla has ambitious goals for its Sailfish mobile operating system to be an alternative to Android. While that may be a lofty ambition, the company announced today that its first batch of smartphones has been fully booked by customers, some of whom laid down partial payments to reserve a device (and receive a “I am the first one” T-shirt).

http://thenextweb.com/eu/2013/08/21/the-first-batch-of-jolla-smartphones-is-fully-booked-but-we-dont-know-the-numbers/?fromcat=all

Download SDK:
https://sailfishos.org/index.html

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#2]
Looks interesting, the UI is based on Qt and QtQuick but they also have their own Sailfish Silica API to deal with.

Things are really heating up in what appears to be a race to take a chunk out of the Android and Apple iOS pie. Just off the top of my head, we have TIZEN, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Edge, add your favorite *new* mobile os here :). I had even heard talk a few months back of Google ditching Android in favor of Chrome OS.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#3]
had even heard talk a few months back of Google ditching Android in favor of Chrome OS.

If you think about it, it makes sense for them to do that. At the same time, if they did, they'd lose their leading position in the mobile device market. Everyone that programs against Android would now need to transition over to ChromeOS. I'm not entirely sure what kind of difference that is for developers. How would hardware manufacturers handle that? I don't know, but that would be interesting to see.

The only one of the bunch beside Android that even appeals to me is Ubuntu Edge. That seems promising. I often wondered how long it'd be before the full fledged Linux OS would just be on the mobile platform - in phones in particular :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#4]
that's cool to see alternatives, but i'm backing the current leaders. android is pretty darn functional, so i can't see how other options can displace any of the top three. even winrt is struggling, so that shows something.

my thoughts: firefox, tizen will fizzle out like palm os, meego did. ubuntu COULD survive, if they start to port their OS to EXISTING devices (which it looks like you can):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1891986

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#5]
I agree AdamRedwoods. Of the alternatives to the top 3, Ubuntu has the best chance of survival. I'm looking forward to seeing one of their phones come out. Its just now which provider(s) will pick them up?

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#6]
It's a catch 22, providers won't pick them up unless there is a market of people who want them, and people won't want them if no providers pick them up.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#7]
I would pay close attention to TIZEN, the Samsung factor is huge, also has a lot of software tooling support around it. Ubuntu is a techie favorite, but consumers need to be spoon fed their devices and app stores. I think the benchmark would be if anything could surpass Blackberry it might have a fighting chance. Funny we don't even mention Microsoft in these discussions :)