ZTE Open - Firefox OS $80 smartphone

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/ZTE Open - Firefox OS $80 smartphone

programmer(Posted 2013) [#1]
Available on eBay:
USA, 3G UMTS 850/1900 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/271258990669
Europe, 3G UMTS 900/2100 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZTE-Open-3G-Unlocked-Firefox-OS-Cellphone-Orange-Ebay-exclusive-/171104024854

Only $80.

Firefox OS is a Linux-based open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers. It is designed to provide a "complete" community-based alternative system for mobile devices, using open standards and approaches such as HTML5 applications, JavaScript, a robust privilege model, open web APIs to communicate directly with cellphone hardware, and application marketplace.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#2]
Thank you for posting this! I had heard this was going to happen a few days ago and forgot, plus it looks like stock is already running out.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
i think a community (rather than corporate based) mobile platform is interesting, but i'm waiting to see if the Ubuntu phones take off.

the Ubuntu can be plugged into a computer and keyboard, and isn't locked into "javascript".

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#4]
@AdamRedwoods - How much work do you figure it would be to hook into the web api's provided by Firefox OS using Monkey? I agree Ubuntu is more interesting at the moment.

I wonder about projected marketshare, I couldn't find anything but the ZTE will be going head to head with sub $100 Nokia phones. I did see numbers on phones shipped by ZTE, it was like 17 miillion worldwide in one quarter of 2011 (all devices), so ZTE has the ability to ship a lot of devices if the demand is there.

I suspect that there will be significantly more sales of this particular device in other world markets compared to the US. So, the effectiveness of the Firefox Marketplace may be affected by the type of consumer.

BTW if you have a Nexus you might be able to load Ubuntu on it and get a preview:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yuck! That orange phone looks like a toy hehehehe

Nothing to do with the OS or price, but I wouldn't use that, unless someone was paying me (lots of cash) to do it :P

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#6]
Okay I was weak.
I just bought my self one of those.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#7]
Well, my phone has shipped, can't wait to get it and see if HTML5 Monkey apps run on it!!!

I like the Orange :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#8]
Okay I just found out that my ZTE Open has arrived today.
I'm at a customer right now, but I really want to go home to test my new phone.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#9]
So I have had some time to play with my new phone:

Is not very fast compared to my iPhone but its okay.
I do like that you can more than four icon on the bottom and that you can scroll between them.

But for a cheap phone I can live with that.

You cannot use the camera without a SDCard and that not so good. I'l have to find
Theres only 142 MB storage without a SDCard.

It does support my language (danish) but english is okay.

Theres not many Apps in the store.

Some of the games shows you half the screen. It does not autorotate.
And the screen is not as responsive as I would like it to be.

The charger is not for danish power socket.

But I think the OS has some potential it just needs a faster phone than the ZTE Open.

I'll keep playing with my FireFox phone and report back if I discover something nice.

programmer(Posted 2013) [#10]
@Tri|Ga|De, thanks for sharing your experience!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#11]
Some of the games shows you half the screen. It does not autorotate.

Are you talking about Monkey apps here?

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#12]
@rIKmAN

I think he means apps in the app store in general, not neccessarily Monkey made ones :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#13]
Ahh I thought he meant HTML5 Monkey games he had tried were having those issues. Thanks for the report Tri|Ga|de!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#14]
No its the games you can play from the phone.
I have not tried Monkey games yet.

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#15]
I don't see the point.

RIM and M$ are already demonstrating that even with massive amounts of $$$ to spend they can't put even the tiniest of dents in the Android/iOS juggernaut.

Want an $80 phone? You can just buy a half decent huwaei android handset.

Gary

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#16]
I just wanted to see what this mobile was like.
My primary phone is an iPhone and I was not looking for a replacement.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#17]
I got mine and have been trying it out.

I use Windows Phone 7 and have been so miserable with it that I AM trying to find a replacement. I don't know if this is it, but I do look forward to developing with it because HTML5/CSS/HTML/JS are my bread and butter.

The hardware itself is really slow, so I don't feel like I'm getting the most out the experience - but with great hardware, I think this OS could be a nice competitor to Android especially.

The HTML5 nature of the App Store is very appealing. I do like that a lot. Apps install almost instantly.

It reminds me A LOT of my original G1 Android Dev phone. I mean.... A LOT.

I have to get an SD card for it today so I can try out the camera and some other things.

I ran a few games and Twitter, and it was just OK. Again, the hardware kills the experience a bit - but I'm sure that can get better over time.

I mostly look forward to having Firefox be the standard web browser and being able to create my own apps for it with ease. Maybe I'll make it my main phone for a while just for fun.