New Star Soccer article

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/New Star Soccer article

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#1]
Those of you who follow the Blitz Research Facebook page may have already seen this, but I thought it worth reposting:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-08-simon-read-the-star-of-new-star-soccer

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#2]
Inspiring - thanks for posting as I wouldn't have seen it on Facebook.

richb(Posted 2013) [#3]
Amazing reading that, I love all the New Star Soccer games, I've brought each one since the 3rd one. My 6 year old son loves the arcade mode on it and he loves playing Sensational Euro Soccer as well!

I think everyone on here would dream to have even a quater of the success of NSS Mobile has achieved.

After reading that article I think I might just have to play a couple of games on NSS now :)!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#4]
Way to go!

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#5]
That is absolutely amazing, well done on achieving such great
things.

What did he use to create New Star Soccer? :oP

[EDIT]

Gotta express my congratulations again for this man!!

If you want something badly enough and you have the persistance to go
ALL out, stop at nothing attitude, this is the result.

I don't know Simon Read but I am damn happy for Mr Read and his family!

This success puts a smile on my face.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#6]
my target is 1000€ - per day...
for my first commercial game

but 7000$ per day is amazing!!!

candy crush saga make 500K per day?

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#7]
I thought it was a great read, sad to see how close he was to giving up too.

But it has all paid off now, he can go buy his own real football team now :P
A small one obviously :P

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#8]
but 7000$ per day is amazing!!!

Nope. 7000 british pounds. That's about $10,000.

Congrats, you really deserve it although I still not get what makes your game so successful. ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#9]
mind if I ask what game your raking in 7k from ?

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#10]
It's that one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newstargames.newstarsoccer

GfK(Posted 2013) [#11]
my target is 1000€ - per day...
for my first commercial game
Are you actually serious?

Anyway, I'll repost exactly what I posted on Twitter. "I can't help but admire the guy". Because I don't have a 140-character limit, I can expand on it a little.

My admiration is not because of the massive amount of cash that he's made - it's because he's been right to the very bottom (and then some), but still not given up doing what he loves doing, AND managed to recover spectacularly from it.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#12]
mind if I ask what game your raking in 7k from ?

Is this a serious question? Look at the thread title.

Bit early in the morning to be drinking, even for a Scot lol! :)

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#13]
My admiration is not because of the massive amount of cash that he's made - it's because he's been right to the very bottom (and then some), but still not given up doing what he loves doing, AND managed to recover spectacularly from it.

Agree 100% that is the key to this story. The fact that he *never* threw in the towel even in the depths of despair. A lesson for many of us I guess is that we give up too easy (well I know historically thats been a problem for me).

His success is fully deserved.

Gary

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#14]
Just curious, has Simon hired anyone from the Monkey community?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
Ah no sorry I meant, well was trying to ask Dragon what his 1k project was, or what was the project that he was aiming for that amount from, I just got my numbers mixed up, my bad.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#16]
i can not write something about my project.

but what say fifa to new star soccer?
you must license rights - or you can use only fantasy names.
(i do not played nss)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#17]
It doesn't use real names. They're an character-limited approximation of real names, but that's generally it.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#18]
His game Super Laser Racers looks pretty neat too.

Arabia(Posted 2013) [#19]
Fantastic article - well done Simon, you deserve everything you've achieved.

I've been working on a sports sim for some time now, and every other indie developer I know writing sims for this sport use real names - what is the problem with that?

I mean (excuse my Football/Soccer lack of knowledge of who is a top player these days) if you call your game "Wayne Rooney Soccer" then expect a lawsuit, but if you use his name as a part of your sim just as a player then how is that a problem?

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#20]
Football players own the rights to their own name and image (or their club does), and thus can sell them to be used on shirts, cups, mugs, and.... games.

Why do you think Real Madrid spend £80m on players like Ronaldo and Bale?
Because they will help them win things (prize money) and they will make millions back by selling shirts with his name on, things with his face on etc that no other club can do because they don't own the rights.

It isn't a problem if you game is played by 100 people, but if it gets any noteworthy success then you will be looking at a cease and desist or a lawsuit.

If it was that easy to just use them then EA and Sports Interactive wouldn't have to pay licencing money to have real clubs, emblems, leagues and players in their games.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2013) [#21]
He *IS* only using fantasy names! See Gfk's post above.