Demo programmers?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Demo programmers?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#1]
Anyone feel like a nice informal compo? Should be real easy since we have HTML5 hosting here.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2013) [#2]
Hmmm...why? Just because or (insert reason here)?

I've been a tad bored since my team has been fighting over a minute detail for the last two weeks...I wouldn't mind doing something to just get my mind off of it.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#3]
It might just be fun to put up some gfx effects. It doesn't necessarily have to be Second Reality :)

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#4]
sounds like it could be fun

Hotshot(Posted 2013) [#5]
How about Monthly Demo Competions? :)

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#6]
Over at the BlitzMAX forum, we used to have competitions seeing what we could do with 250 bytes or 128 bytes - as in code-wise you couldn't go over 250 characters MAX in your app! This was somewhere in the 2007 timeframe.

The results were astounding with what we could make in that small amount of code :) Plus, it tests every competator's abilities and shows off the shear power of the language :) What a blast.

Someone made up the rules and timelines for the competition. Then they could post their code in a codebox for everyone to see. Everyone that wished to compete would simply make their code and post it back to the same thread.

The judging I thought was a bit closed, and I'd prefer that we had a voting system of some sorts. Perhaps at the end of the post after the time elapsed, the forum votes by posting their vote? Even give the judging a timeframe. After the timeframe elapses, the person that created the competition would tally the results and post the winner(s).

Take a look here (if you have access to the BlitzMAX forums):
200byteDemoChallenge!

For those that can't access the forum, here's the opening post:

edit: ekk! the titles wrong! 250 (255 if you must!) not 200!!!

heres the rules

your source code cannot exceed 250 bytes
it can only use standard brl and pub modules
it should not be OS specific
your demo can not load or otherwise download media

heres my submission (should be easy to beat!)

Graphics 640,480;b=999;d#=24;h=16;For n#= 0 To b;d:*.997;Plot h+d*Sin(n),h+d*Cos(n);Next;p=grabpixmap(0,0,32,32);h:*3;While 1;cls;o:+1;d=400;for l=o to o+b+b step 40;d:*.99;drawpixmap p,h+d*cos(l),h+d*sin(l*1.2);next;flip;Wend

on a single line it comes to 226 bytes

Here's where later in the thread he set some time limits and spoke of judging:

holy bytes! coder boy!

This is an amazing thread, I've been a bit busy for a few days and expected to come back to it with just one or two new entries

I've decided there should be an end date! 2007-03-18 23:59PM GMT

time permitting a few days later I will come up with a winner (somehow!!!) but its going to be a hard job picking just a single winner, I may end up picking several winners in different categories

So you have till the end of the weekend coming guys get cracking, here's a clue colour soap bubbles and Twin Nucleus are both very defiantly in with a very good chance.

I have to say the over all standard has really impressed me, and there are certainly no losers here.

Just adapt it for Monkey :)

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#7]
Seems to me that smallness is sort of pointless if the goal is to make nice looking effects, but that sort of thing can be fun in its own right.

Check out some of the 256 byte JavaScript demos if you want to be astounded, to say nothing of 4k demos for modern PCs.

Seems like someone wrote a distance field raymarcher for DOS in 256 bytes. It was LOLWUT.

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#8]
I would not put limitations on the size of the code, its a limitation that could stop you using certain nice techniques for no real reason.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#9]
The point was just to have fun with it. Its related to the topic, but not as a DEMO per-se. It IS demo-ing the capabilities, but in a very different way. The smallness was never intended to demo nice looking effects, but to see what kinda of creations developers in the community could achieve. The size limitation WAS the point to that particular challenge. Each challenge was different. One time its size, another time it could be you can't use anything but native commands to the language, and no external libraries. It could be anything for the challenge. This one I showed you was just an EXAMPLE.

The limitations were applied to give every one bounds by which they had to achieve the goal. Its just another little fun test of abilities. Its also a cool little way to get away from the normal day to day routine of coding what we all normally code. Go have some fun with this little contest of ability and creativity.

Granted, if you want to show true creativity, and really show off neat features, let the sky be the limit. Make the challenge interesting. Or Make the challenge be something like "What can you make with blah, given x amount of time." You don't have to win anything, other than the fact yours was chosen to be the best. You could have bounty based challenges too, where different companies sponsor the event - for this community, it could be any of the developers that decided to pitch in something for the winner(s).

Just ideas. Just fun.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#10]
I am totally blown away with what people can do in 256 bytes but I don't wanna go in there myself.

Those dudes are crazy. Some of the techniques they pioneered have ended up being useful in math and physics.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#11]
Here's a little something I did in Blitzmax a couple years back. It uses masking so won't run on Monkey.

http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101230

Some rather amusing things in here, maybe someone will find it useful. Those critters are procedurally generated.