Carmack's Keynote

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Carmack's Keynote

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#1]
I always look forward to hearing John Carmack give his "state of the industry" keynote at QuakeCon. The latest one is now up here: http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/b/439369577 . It starts about 15 minutes in.

It's his usual high-density speech but he's got an interesting take on the next-gen consoles beyond just GPU/CPU stuff. "Kinect is like a zero-button mouse" is a choice sound-bite. Also Android/iOS and micro-consoles like Ouya.

Raul(Posted 2013) [#2]
I liked that joke about Carmack from the beginning. that man is a god anyway

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#3]
I've watched the whole thing now. If you're interested in just his view on how consoles etc. will work out then just the first 30-45 mins is all you need. After that he gets into software engineering and particularly his views on functional programming. He also discusses garbage collection and how it can work in games which might be interesting to Mark as he outlines a basic framework strategy for a per-frame garbage collector.

The last hour is questions and starts with one about Armadillo Aerospace that provokes a really long and interesting answer about that area of his exploits if you want to know about that.