Android fragmentation

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Android fragmentation

Raph(Posted 2013) [#1]
Thought this was an interesting report.

http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#2]
Haha, I love that screen sizes thing. LOL. Definitely true and sometimes really annoying!

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#3]
An interesting visual read but as long as you know what ya doing and have a good code base the different screen sizes are not that big of issue, I find it fun finding solutions to that very issue.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#4]
Since I first started tackling Multiple Resolutions, (Don't ask me why I capitalised that.. *shrugs*) I've learned to go with the "center everything" approach, and a 3x3 grid for GUI things. (top left, bottom right, etc)
It's meant I've lost a lot of great things though, and Puzzle games, in particular, are a pain to get working right on the screen.
It's somewhat ironic, then, that Puzzle Games tend to be more popular on mobile devices, when they're so tricky to get working properly.

I've gotten over the resolution thing, now, though. You can always think your way around these problems, and if someone's got a really messed up device with an insanely crazy resolution, then it's their own fault for buying such a bizarre device!!
Buyer Beware!

My main issue right now is with those inexplicable "It crashes on my really specific device, and .. that's pretty much all I can tell you!" problems.
How you're supposed to be able to fix those, without actually having to get hold of the physical device, is beyond me.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Are there many apps on Android that simply work on specific phones, and state the fact ? or is it a requirement of the app stores that your game needs to work on x,y number of phones and resolutions ?

Not done anything in Android yet, but according to an e-mail I just got I should have a Galaxy S4 tomorrow, my first Android phone, first time I get to test any of my code on hardware other than my PC, kinda Excited and freaked at the same time because of this thread..

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#6]
In the GooglePlay store, you can enable/disable any and all handsets, as long as they're registered by Google. ie, you could switch off all but your Galaxy S4, and only those folk would get a "Works on your device" message in the app store.
Or at least, I think that's what that button does! Never tried it!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#7]
I guess you should try various OS versions and screen sizes on the emulator anyway. If it works okay on them all you can hope for the best.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#8]
Not sure I personally would like to do that tho. might just start with selecting the Galaxy S4, and any other device with the same, or very close to resolutions.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#9]
You could think of Android fragmentation much like the PC fragmentation, there are heaps of PCs out there with different hardware and monitors with different resolutions and running different versions of multiple operating systems.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
Not really tho, as almost all of them support a big majority of screen resolutions, for example if I make something for 1024*768 I know its going to work without me having to do anything to it on just about ALL PC's.

Same cant be said about the mobile market and its crazy amount of resolutions.

That being said, and while I am here, THANKS theevills, lol I got my Shooter running on my brandy spanking new S4 tonight without to much of a headache thanks to diddy and the fact that you built in autofit, auto fits to my screen and almost all screen co-ordinates just work :) nice.