No More Fez 2..

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/No More Fez 2..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Whiny, Racist, Moaner who blames everything that goes wrong on other people, and then takes great pleasure in letting everyone know its not his fault.

Really do not like him at all as a Person.

But as a developer, he's created something special, and now because of Beer's rage directed at phil, he's dropped Fez II, that hurts his fans, not Beer, in fact it lets him win.

I really do not like Phil, but his work is amazing, and I think he has made a massive mistake, hope he changes his mind.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#2]
http://kotaku.com/twitter-blowup-leads-to-sudden-cancellation-of-fez-ii-934548588

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#3]
Well, If I was an investor I would never put a dime in Polytron after this. It only shows how unprofessional the guy is...

Raul(Posted 2013) [#4]
I like Marcus and probably I will always share his opinion.

Anyway when you, as an 'idie' developer have almost all the indie press you should at least try to mimic an interest when you are asked about your job..

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#5]
<Shrug> No Fez 2, but plenty of popcorn...

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#6]
...uhuh..
*carries on writing a brand new game every single week*

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
This storm was raging on Twitter in the small hours of this morning. I don't know much of this Phil Fish character, but from what I gather he's had a lot of really unnecessary abuse and threats from various "people", prior to Fez 2 even being mentioned.

He might be strange, but if that were a crime we'd all be locked up. I don't know enough about the whole story to be taking sides, but I don't think it's all been one-way traffic on the part of Mr Fish.

Beaker(Posted 2013) [#8]
I did meet Phil a couple of years ago, and played an early version of Fez. He seemed pretty normal at the time, but I think its been an incredibly long and difficult journey and it's taken its toll on him personally. I watched the Indie film and while I agree he doesn't always come across that well I do have some sympathy for the road he's gone down.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#9]
Cancelling a game over a bust up with one guy is tantamount to wearing a T-shirt saying 'I'm really really hurt'. I'm not a fan of some of Phil's past decisions, but I hope he rethinks.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
I have no sympathy for him at all, he's brought most of this on himself, the way he treats his fans, his paying customers, and his racist attitude, he calls it being a hipster , I call it being a wan***, even going as far as telling some one to kill themselves, that's just stupid on so many levels.

Uncle(Posted 2013) [#11]
While I'm no fan of Phil Fish, I think calling him a racist is bit harsh (if this is relation to what he said about Japanese games).

I do think he gets a rough ride, but I also see he doesn't help himself. I admire the fact that he stuck at Fez through some very tough times, but I think after he released it and it was commercially successful he needed to step up his game on the business side. It's crazy and unprofessional to have a such a public spat online and then decide to pack up and take your toys home. Perhaps he should just stay off twitter, code instead and let his games do the talking? Just an old fashioned idea I know.

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#12]
Frankly people are judging Phil Fish based on the very small amount of information they know about him and how he portrays himself online, you don't know someone if that is all the interaction you have ever had with them (or any interaction at all)

As to the racist thing it was a statement about japanese games, an opinion that modern japanese games arent as good as the old ones, nowhere did he say anything racist.

We aren't privy to all the messages and threats he's gotten over the years so we have no way of knowing how bad they were, or how they affected him, but they must have, and if he thinks quitting being a game developer will stop that then good luck to him, just because you are an indie dev in the limelight does not mean you have to put up with that kind of crap.

I don't think he has ever murdered anyone or commited genocide, hell some people who have recieve less hate than him :P

I just watched the extra stuff in the special edition of Indie Game The Movie, and Tommy and Edmund of team meat have taken to avoiding interacting with people online as much as they used to because of the same thing, people throwing abuse and threats at them for no reason other than they did well, and unlike Phil they don't give as good as they get, they have been nothing but great guys to their fans and critics alike, yet even they have to put up with the same crap as Phil.

He should take a leaf out of their books, stay off twitter, ignore what people are saying and get on with the business of making games.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#13]
I don't know... but the more I look at this, the more it stinks as a P.R. stunt...

If it's not, everyone involved ends up losing. But again, "not making Fez 2" just screams how unprofessional he is. If he intends to actually have a game developing business, this should be completely out of the question, regardless of what anyone say or accuse him of.

I've been once on his shoes (as being cyber bullied), and I do understand how such things can make someone angry. But his reaction to this was the worst possible one, from arguing on twitter to pulling the plug on Fez 2.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#14]
He's said way more than that article, I am thinking of things being said over the past year or two. he's progressively gotten worse to the point I stopped following him on twitter.

When it comes to any individuals impressions of another, we can only ever go on what we know, what we see and what we hear, I'm not about to re-follow him and ask him his life story, its none of my business.

If you think the press gave him a hard time, you have to know that he courted them in the first place, I think he was under the impression that any press is good press, I think he knows now that's not the case.

I agree, he needs to bail on twitter, either that develop a thick skin and realize that not everyone is going to like him when their game breaks and he refuses to update and patch it.

impixi(Posted 2013) [#15]
Bah, just go play "Super Paper Mario" instead.

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#16]
Oh no! :( Such a loss to humanity!

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#17]
Clearly Phil Fish is quite an unstable individual as we all know . But to let a heated argument from some other douche bag guy cause him to completely cancel a game is a bit over the top. Plus...i thought Fez was overrated anyways :).

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#18]
Fez did better by far than Spelunky and that's nothing short of a crime.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#19]
Stoic humility is a virtue not easily afforded by the likes of some people. I hope this will be a learning experience for everyone involved.