Dropbox issue.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Dropbox issue.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Tonight I have found myself in a situation where my dropbox client is stuck in a downloading file list mode.

Checking the support and help there were a number of possible fix's none of which worked.

I have now closed my client, and with it off, I am manually deleting everything from my dropbox, about 30 gig worth of data, once the server is 100% clean I will turn the client back on and with any luck it will just start sending the files back up.

Has anyone else had this or something like it ? if so were you able to fix it without doing what I am doing ?

Raph(Posted 2013) [#2]
Haven't had this issue, but I would back up the local data too, just in case it's borked enough to treat the server as authoritative!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yeah that seemed to work, I moved the local data away, un-installed the client, manually deleted everything from the server, and then installed the client and started fresh.

It worked but it was a total pain in the ass given how much data I have to delete and given how annoying dropbox is when you need to delete something, if the dir tree is deep it makes you step in and delete it in stages.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#4]
I started with dropbox but I have moved everything to SkyDrive now. 7GB free and it works great. I have 2 PC's and 2 laptops that I switch between and I have Monkey installed to it and all of my source too. It makes life very easy. It is very reliable too.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah with dropbox I have about 30gig which fits just about everything I need to be able to work code and do arts on the move, putting stuff in the cloud rocks, when it works , but when it fails for what ever reason its a major pain in the ass.

I have not moved to actually working out of my dropbox folder yet, still using it to backup large changes, are you having any issues actually working out of the skydrive folder ??

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#6]
No, I work completely out of it like it is a local drive. I use it all day every day and have never had an issue or a second of downtime. Only have to update Monkey and modules in one place too. Just been really great.

CGV(Posted 2013) [#7]
So every time you hit build the resultant output gets uploaded to the cloud?

That would be a problem for me as the way I program I can easily hit build 40-50 times in a hour.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#8]
Yeah I build a lot as well but as long as your not bandwidth capped it should be fine .

Think I might just move my Dropbox folder location to include my work folder the only reason I didn't do it before was a lack of space .

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#9]
It does upload it, but it isn't an issue. The larger files, the data, don't change anyway. A copy is stored locally as well so if you have spotty internet it works just fine and syncs up when it is available.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#10]
I'm so old-fashioned. The only thing that I ever put on the cloud is an encrypted code backup.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#11]
It's one of those things that I often ask myself why I wasn't using the cloud sooner, now that I do use it every day I am still finding cool things that I can do as a result of it.

Being able to host webpages on it kicks ass, being able to host my games on it for example, I can simply grab the public url to my games build folder and then give the url to testers, they instantly get that latest version while I work on it.

It's got so many neat little things that you can do with it, another good app is SugarSync , but I have the most space with dropbox so that's the one I use.

Shamless Plug but http://db.tt/MobVyhmT if you want to try dropbox and dont have an account use this link, it will get us both free space.

Not sure about skydrive but with dropbox you can get upto 16 gig free if you refer friends to the service.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#12]
No, I work completely out of it like it is a local drive.

I do the same thing. Have roughly 40gb on dropbox, haven't had any issues yet. Although one time i gave my sister my old laptop and wiped off dropbox from it (thinking that it should be ok now), but when she synced it to her dropbox account all of the files from my account got synced into her account also...weirdness. Just had to removed my old laptop from the my device list online. Gotta always remember to do that :).

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#13]
Yeah I have had that with a shared folder, removed it from the server via the website, and my local copy but on a re-install it popped back, had to actually tell the site I was leaving the share before it would go.