How much would you pay for

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/How much would you pay for

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#1]
a Tool to create icons and screenschot for Apple AppStore, Google Play and Windows Phone Store?

I have made a tool that makes it very easy to create screenshot and icons.
You can download the guide in PDF format here

Please tell me what you think I could charge for this tool?
I was thinking 10 Euros but maybe that to much or to little.

What do you think.

I still need to test the tool a bit for bugs and the I will release it.
I'm also working on a Mac version.

[Edit]
I have made a webpage for this Tool.
Please visit the page here and see the guides on how to use it.
[/Edit]

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#2]
looks like a cool tool, but it makes me wonder just how hard it is for some people to create a few icons and formatted images.

I think your main problem might be that your target audience, app developers can probably handle doing this on their own without any hassle or problems.

I think something like 2 Euros or Free with Adds might be a better price point, specially for a tool that will hardly ever be used, only once per project at the end of its development cycle.

Its not like these icons need to be made over or redone a lot.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#3]
I just know from my self that I always make my screenshot in the wrong resolutions and will have to change them. With this tool I don't have to.

But may 2 Euros is the correct price.
Anyone else?

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#4]
I guess £5 - £10 or something? Probably nearer £5 would be better.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#5]
If it is a good tool, then charge around 20 usd-30 usd. And support it well.

Regarding the suggestion Ads, people love to block these so don't expect to much from it. Make it a premium tool and charge premium. Everything else is not worth the effort.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#6]
Btw. which tool did you use to create the application?

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#7]
Can I load a bunch of assets and compose (move, resize, rotate) elements to create a screen shot(s) or icon in the tool? that would be nice.

Can I apply some predefined styles\themes to my icons, such as rounded corners, shadow, borders etc?

Get the above two features in an I am sold.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#8]
@MikeHart
It's made in Visual Studio C#.
The Mac version is made in XCode(not finished yet)

@Supertino
Sound like a nice future update.
[Edit]
I found some code to manipulate images, so I'll try to see if I can implement in my tool before release.
This means it will take a little time longer before its released.
[/Edit]

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#9]
Definitely looks very useful.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#10]
Okay I got a lot of effect you can apply the images including border and rounded corner.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#11]
@Tri|Ga|De - While I know the world doesn't revolve around Windows, but this could make a really useful Plugin for JungleIDE. I think Ziggy has developed a framework for plugins and this would be a great start to see how (or if) it works. I understand this tool could be useful outside the Monkey community, but I think it is preferrable to consolidate functionality where possible and it would be a huge bonus for Monkecoders that use JungleIDE. Something to consider.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#12]
You need a LOT more images than shows on the PDF: screenshots on several resolutions, icons on several sizes, "featured" graphics... it takes a lot of time to generate it all.

And it would be much better to do it all with vectors (ok, screenshots can't be vectors, but icons can!) - so you can scale it up/down at will without losing much detail.

I actually would love a program that could take an .AI and generate Icons from all sizes - named correctly (those crazy icon@2x, etc from Apple Store), generate all Android resolution sizes, etc. That would save me some time.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#13]
This is only my opinion, but I think $2 is WAY too little.

First, the people who may need this are not the "good" developers. The good developers can do this really easily all on their own. It's not even an issue. It can take some time, sure, but we certainly aren't out looking for a software program to do it for us - I don't think.

The people buying this are struggling with it, so they are probably struggling with a lot of things. The value of a piece of software like this will be MUCH higher.

They are probably even using a simpler WYSIWYG game making tool other than Monkey. They may barely know how to use the graphics tools they are using to make their game.

That being said, this problem for your target audience is bigger than a $2 problem most likely, so maybe even $20 would make more sense - but it has to be a 1 or 2 click deal IMO. Add 1 image, make icons or screenshots. Done.

My opinion of what you've mocked-up, and looking at your interface... it seems like you may have made the problem appear even more complicated than it is, and learning the software is going to take me even more time than it would to resize a few of my images to make icons and screenshots. You may be defeating yourself a bit.

What I expected: 1 button to load 1 big screenshot that I've taken, button 2, resize the screenshot for all the device resolutions. Maybe an Advanced button for all the other stuff.

Anyway, just my opinions, first impressions, etc.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#14]
@benmc

Its actually not that many clicks.
I'm in the process of making a website for this tool.
On that website I will put more images from the tool and a guide to use it.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2013) [#15]
I agree with benmc here, way too many options & buttons.
Strip down your interface to the bare minimum, otherwise this tool really just complicates the things it is trying to solve.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#16]
I have made a webpage for this Tool.

Please visit the page here.

The Tool will be available for sale shortly.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#17]
No go, error 504. Gateway time out

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#18]
Yes I know I'm changing web server. Please be patient.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#19]
Should have waited until you had changed it before you posted the link :)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#20]
The link did work a first, but then something went wrong with my webserver and I decided to change the server. But your right, should have waited.

But it will be back shortly.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#21]
Edit: NM

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#22]
Now I get "Fejl ved etablering af databaseforbindelse".

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#23]
Yes!

Finally I got my webserver running again.
I needed to reinstall my MySQL server and copy all old databases.

But now is should be running.

I'm sorry for the trouble.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#24]
Well turn out I was wrong in my last post.

But now everything is finally working with my server again.
So I can concentrate on getting the S.A.S.I.I.T out for sale on my website.

I hope to have it ready this weekend.

I have put some guides on the webpage so you can see how to use this tool.