TODO Lists.. Managers ??

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/TODO Lists.. Managers ??

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I am taking part in a conversation on a small Indie Game Dev facebook group, (wich you can get an invite to if your interested) ..

Anyway.. were talking about todo lists, or todo managers, an app or tool you can use to make todo lists to help you work, currently were talking about Evernote, and its the tool I am currently testing out, normally I write all my notes down in A5 pads, so moving to a more digital system is a bit of a chore at the moment.

So I was wondering what any of you use, and why, I find that so far Ever note has a lot of cool features, but its also missing a few things that I would really like.

So what do you use. pen paper ? some app ? some tool ?

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#2]
Googles new Drive>Keep works for me https://drive.google.com/keep/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Keep is a bit basic, but its a nice start I hope they develop that further.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Mantis

[edit] Why? Because I'm used to it. There are dozens of alternatives now.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#5]
No way would I upload my innermost thoughts to Google!

To my mind most things like game ideas we write down are a ritual anyway - we don't look them up, but the act of writing cements them in memory. So I write them in a jotter, knowing I will never find them again.

Actual programming TO-DOs get written into the code as a TODO: comment. They may never get done either, but at least I will see them.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#6]
Gerry im the same, I use A5 note books per project, but I'm making an effort to try out Evernote after a fellow dev told me about it and recommended it, which got me wondering about other tools and apps ..

You seem to have some built up hate there for google lol, im not that fussy to be honest if they make a good tool I would consider using it.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#7]
I like paper, but I do use One Note a lot. It is great and they have a FREE client for iOS, Android and an awesome web client. And it is included with Office on the desktop as well, but the web client is great, even if you don't have Office.

I would be interested in the group as well.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#8]
I don't hate Google, but I don't think a company in their business is a safe place to upload your ideas.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#9]
I can't say I've ever been convinced that Google has any reason to look at user's data except by having automated processes chew through it to target ads.

Anyway, in terms of software for free-flow idea jotting I've used text-files, wikis, mind-maps and OneNote. I'd still use OneNote if I had a suitable pen device (waiting for Surface 2 gen slates). Being able to use a pen (and get pretty decent conversion to character text), doodle, drag in urls, documents and images in a single place with useful organisation and the ability to back-up is great.

In the absence of OneNote I've tended to meander between just opening a text file and basic online jotters like workflowy. Mind-mappers like FreeMind/XMind are great when you're specifically sitting down to think broadly about something but they don't seem to work for me as ongoing note tools.

For task-list/todo stuff you're really spoiled for choice. At the basic todo level there's stuff like WunderList (and a bazillion others). For more formal but simple project planning I've used PivotalTracker. Others speak well of Trello. Horses for courses really. Maybe you should try browsing around AlternativeTo and see if anything catches your eye: http://alternativeto.net/software/pivotal-tracker/

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#10]
I use evernote and whatever that sketchy thing evernote uses if I need something to be everywhere all the time. For the dedicated processes which require fully sketched-out ideas, I often turn to the good old-fashioned pencil and paper. Blue-lined graph paper works best, and the lines can be knocked-out using a channel filter for easier viewing on a computer.

arcsrc(Posted 2013) [#11]
I use everything bitbucket has to offer. Free private repository, wiki for game ideas and the issue tracker as a todo list. Every commit corresponds to an issue and if you write fixes#123 in the commit message it will automatically close the issue.