Dive : Virtual Reality

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Dive : Virtual Reality

bruZard(Posted 2013) [#1]
http://www.durovis.com/index.html

awesome!!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
well done. funny though, the future of gaming is that we'll all be spinning around in circles...

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yes, and when it happens monkeycoders will be ready for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNqOtuPfxo

mardrag(Posted 2013) [#4]
I am really looking forward to this.
Hopefully there will be people developing vr-games for the Durovis Dive.

To keep tracking latency low, you need to access the gyroscope via the NDK.
Is it doable to write a (fast) monkey module for this?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#5]
I get the idea... using a smartphone as a vr headset is clever, but won't that hurt your eyes really bad?

If it doesn't I really, really hope that thing doesn't cover the phone's camera... ^_^

mardrag(Posted 2013) [#6]
I think it should not damage the eyes.
If you always look into the closeness then this is bad for the eyes.

But as far as I understand this device, there are lenses from binoculars installed reversed. The result is that the center of the phone screen appears further away. So your eyes will always look into the distance.

I'd rather care about turning off 3G and WiFi when the phone is right beside my head for a longer time.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#7]
I can imagine a lot of people using it without help (you can do that with stereograms with a little practice) and ending up cross-eyed!

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#8]
This kinda of stuff actually existed for a while, for example the My3D Viewer can already do stereoscopic 3D with IOS/Androids apps on the market now. The only thing is that there is no head strap and there's still that "tunnel vision" effect (for anyone who were fortunate enough to try out the Oculus Rift, you are totally immersed). The Dive maybe more capable though.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#9]
Seen this sort of thing at Maker Faire for over the past 3 years. This stands out as a better design and leverages 3D printing to make some of the components.

However, I don't see this as anything more than a hobby and something for hardware and software hackers to play around with. Oculus Rift is the best thing out there at the moment with a chance to actually have a commercial presence.

The Dive is an appropriate name because it could give you a chance to "get your feet wet", while waiting to get your hands on an Oculus Rift dev. kit.

bram(Posted 2013) [#10]
Cool idea.