News: Unity drops flash support

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/News: Unity drops flash support

Beaker(Posted 2013) [#1]
http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/04/23/sunsetting-flash/

Can't say I blame them. Shame tho. Would've been better as a free plugin.

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#2]
flash is still used by loadsa people

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
wow, i just saw this and is big news for me. I've always enjoyed Flash and made it my full-time work for many years, but oh, how quickly things change. Truly a sign of the end.

I am a little upset since WebGL is still a little unstable and not working seemlessly on IE. THis made Flash11 a decent 3d gaming platform, especially since the Unity Web Player is closed source.

Now I am unsure if I should continue with my own miniB3D efforts to get Flash11 as a target.
EDIT: maybe i'll keep going. we'll see.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
Flash will die eventually, but not for a few years yet. From what I've been reading it's Adobes own fault not anticipating the trends with mobile devices several years ago. At a guess we will see the end in about 5-6 years. Adobe have already stopped doing major releases for Linux and are only going to do maintenance updates for that OS.

CGV(Posted 2013) [#5]
People are making serious money on mobile using flash and Adobe air, check out the fgl forums.

Unity decided not to compete with their own product and found a way to blame Adobe for their own change of business plans.

Flash is going to be around for a long while yet. 5-6 years as dawlane predicts and that's an absolute minimum. It's still worth supporting flash.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#6]
Agreed.

One of the huge benefits of Monkey is that we can support Flash while it's there without tying ourselves to it.

Monkey just got a nice selling point compared to Unity.