Unreal Developer's Kit - UDK

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Unreal Developer's Kit - UDK

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Has anyone played around with Unreal's UDK and tooling around it?

http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/

Outside of the licensing issues, would be interesting to hear a MonkeyCoder's perspective of the engine and tools.

bram(Posted 2013) [#2]
A years or two ago, I helped a group of people working with Kismet. Personally, I didn't like the idea of node based programming. It is very designer-friendly, but as a programmer, I found maintaining a good project structure is very difficult. The designers did like it a lot, because it didn't look like programming.
As I understood, it has a good art pipeline from either Maya and 3ds max. The editor used to include CSG, but it became very easy to import models. The rendering looked pretty decent.
A bit longer ago, I tried modifying UnrealScript myself. The idea was to see if it is possible to create something that wasn't a first person shooter. Again, I didn't like it. Building took ages, and often ended with an error, at least on my machine. There was little to no documentation available. I concluded 'bloatware' and abandoned it.
For me, UDK was not a serious option to create anything. But they have a very active modding community. I can imagine that it would be suitable for someone else.