Ouya Review

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Ouya Review

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#1]
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review
But the device is currently being sold as a product, not a prototype, and that's just wrong. Ouya isn't a viable gaming platform, or a good console, or even a nice TV interface. I don't know what it is, but until Ouya figures it out, it's not worth $99.

A nice review, I like the criticism, but I still think the platform will succeed.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
Haha, just like Apple haters you have the Xbox/PS3 fanboys now take on it. Priceless. :-)

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#3]
I think the review was a bit harsh. The hardware shouldn't be up for a final review. I would call it a preview at this point. Everything they wrote about I expected, except for the controller flaws and I am surprised that they didn't skin more of the OS.

I was part of the kickstarter. They are staggering shipping, so I should be getting it soon. For $100 it is practically disposable. I think they are committed to doing it right, though. It may take a little time but there are some great android games and many will already play well on a TV.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#4]
"A, B, X, and Y are not to be trifled with"

tell that to Microsoft when they swapped positions relative to the SNES controller. Or Sony when they changed X and O's meaning depending on whether you're American or Japanese. To make the first real critique so whiny kinda loses a valid point -- that the semantics of O-U-Y-A as buttons don't really give any users, new or otherwise, much to latch onto in terms of mnemonics.

If it were me, I would've attempted to assign each button a symbol which can be readily associated with its meaning, the way Sony attempted to before taking a hatchet to the idea when bringing PS1 to the US. (FYI, the familiar tri-x-o-square meant "view/camera", "no", "yes", and "menu", respectively, and the placement corresponded nicely in typical functions with its predecessor, the SNES.) Perhaps there is still time to do this -- retain the colors of the control buttons for backwards compatibility, and replace the letters with some sort of memorable iconography.

As for "Needing a halo"..... the fact the console doesn't have a killer app yet is a good thing for developers who are early adopters -- any one of us still have a chance to make our game the one. Once it's there, it should also bring in more sales for the rest of us.

The rest of the critique, I have no problem with. I'm especially disappointed that they didn't put stops in the analog stick to prevent it from bumping into the removable plastic; that seems like an engineering oversight of some kind.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#5]
I thought the article was actually somewhat accurate. I can pretty much agree with some of the faults that was listed in the article from first hand experience with the Ouya. I was one of those 1337 backers and was even at the Ouya Launch Party during the whole GDC fiasco so we got to leave with the brand new shiny console itself - actually, i already had the Dev console so it was really nothing new. Just shinier :p.

Anyways, at the launch party we pretty got to test out the latest revision of Ouya and all the games that were slowly being populated there. Can't really say that i'm impressed by anything there, and most of the ones in their "sandbox" category were total CRAP. But there were a few interesting ones on there too. I can say that playing games with 3 other gamers on a TV screen is actually quite exhilarating. However, one main gripe i had with the controller was how sometimes the buttons got stuck... not a good thing at all...

As far as getting your Monkey games to load on there, its quite easy and usually works right away. And by hacking away with maverick69's module does get the controller working so we're pretty much ready to port any monkey game to Ouya now.

Anyways, its still a bit early to determine how well the Ouya will do. I still think its an interesting idea, but even myself am not sure of its future outcome either.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#6]
Sorry to revive the thread, but this was a better review for the Ouya:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/ouya-impressions/all/

[The Little Crane That Could] is exactly the kind of weird, inscrutable, rough-around-the-edges game that would never get an Xbox Live Arcade publishing deal, but fits perfectly on Ouya.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#7]
Got an email yesterday that mine shipped. I will post a mini review once I get a chance to play with it.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#8]
Ouya vs E3
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-cops-called-to-shut-down-ouya

Urhman feels that Ouya is being unfairly targeted due to its decision to go around the ESA and attend E3 on its own terms. Uhrman and the rest of the Ouya team intend to tackle the second day of E3 2013 by increasing their street team presence. She also reached out to the ESA in an attempt to resolve the dispute, but has yet to hear back. When asked how she’ll react if the ESA continues putting pressure on Ouya, Uhrman responded, “If ten more trucks show up, we’ll come up with another idea. I have a few up my sleeve.”

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#9]
Not sure whos side I am on with that, E3 costs boat loads of cash to manage , and maintain , so for them to try and avoid paying up and yet still get the benefit from all the traffic and footfall is kinda smart on their part, but also kinda sucky to all the other companies why had to fork out money.

ESA will be worried that it might start a trend which could see them lose out on potentially thousands of dollars in ticket sales, why buy a ticket if tons of vendors are going to start setting up stalls outside.

I think Ouya made the wrong call, they should have gone inside.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#10]
I do think it is a bit shady, but I think it is pretty lame of E3 to hire trucks to block them. Some company does something in the parking lots every year.

On a different note, I did finally get mine, but I still haven't hooked it up yet. I didn't appreciate how small it is until I saw it in person, it is tiny!

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#11]
Well, for sure this "attempt" from OUYA to get "crumbs" out of E3 is beyond lame.

Seriously, what did they expect to happen? If E3 didn't do anything, you could expect next year to have several developers and other people trying to "showcase" their products without paying for E3 booths.

Of course, what they did isn't illegal... but it shows that OUYA marketing/management is light years away from what any serious company should be.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#12]
Well, it got them some free publicity. But at some cost to their product's credibility. Whether that's a win or a loss depends on circumstances.

Richard Betson(Posted 2013) [#13]
As far as getting your Monkey games to load on there, its quite easy and usually works right away. And by hacking away with maverick69's module does get the controller working so we're pretty much ready to port any monkey game to Ouya now.

That is good to know. I am in the camp that thinks OUYA will be pretty successful.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#14]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/28/google-and-apple-may-bring-us-a-console-war-we-didnt-see-coming/

ugh

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
I think that's a cool move, specially when you see the prices of the current Next Gen, 500 quid for a console ? really ?, you can get an Entry level PC that not only plays the same games but its a PC you can do everything else with it as well.

Having Apple and Google enter the gap in the market could be an amazing thing for gamers, and indies.

If they can bring it in with a price tag of around the 100 to 200 range.

If they are smart and they let their handsets talk to the tv side box it could open up some really cool possibilities, like live streaming video from your phone, showing pictures on your TV, using your phone as a controller, tv sized face time, not to mention the game's that could take advantage of sharing control or data between a phone and the box.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#16]
I don't know how successful Ouya will be but I do know that it is often lucrative to put games on the appstores of failed products. You will be one of the few developers on there so your game will be one of the few games featured.

I do suspect that Ouya will do rather well, again considering that the nextgen consoles cost a bundle. Remember that PS4 runs BSD and will very likely be fully usable as a full PC.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#17]
I was an original backer and I think the idea will succeed. I think the issue now is everyone is doing some type of android console with even Google supposedly entering as well.

And I still can't figure out why Apple hasn't done more with the AppleTV.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#18]
It seems assured that the Ouya will get XBMC, which will be nice for a media console. Then, hopefully Netflix will get on board.

After buying an Ouya, I do see how it would have been nice to get a couple "headliner" games on it, but overall, it seems to be an open, supported console. I say supported, because the other Android sticks don't seem to have the same support as what is behind the Ouya.

garyk1968(Posted 2013) [#19]
I thought the review in the 1st link was pretty harsh too. The guy was beating up on the controller, I mean come on the whole thing is $99 what does he expect???

Sure it wont have titles with the same experience as PS4 and XB1 but you won't be shelling out £40-£50 a game either. I think these compact consoles have got a future. I didn't go for this but did back gamestick on KS as I prefer its complete portability.

Yes streaming services will be a plus. Ive got a PS3 and 360, the 360 only gets used occassionally which was when to my horror only recently I discovered M$ want to charge £40 a year just to take the damn unit online! So I have to pay to access YouTube which is normally free and/or netflix which I already pay for!!!!

I think these things are cheap enough to have alongside a mainstream console, not instead of.

Gary

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#20]
Supposedly the controller is better in production models. A bit unfortunate for Kickstarter backers, though!

Oddball(Posted 2013) [#21]
Oh god. If the retail controller is an improvement then the backers controller must be unusable. I have a retail OUYA and the controller is terrible. It's what I would call a player 4 controller. I'll be using an Xbox360 controller with it whenever possible.

The OUYA is great though. Apart from a few issues during setup I've really enjoyed it so far. I hope devs really get behind it.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#22]
I read somewhere that PS3 controllers work, but haven't tried yet. I bought an extra controller. If the PS3 do work, I already have 4 of them.