PuppyGames: How Long Did Ultratron take to Make?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/PuppyGames: How Long Did Ultratron take to Make?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#1]
So now you know why a) you don’t really want to be an indie game developer if you can help it and b) why we’re not making any more arcade games

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1369

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
I think if it's taking you seven years to write a game, you're probably not doing it right.

TeaBoy(Posted 2013) [#3]
ok, Puppygames can't make any money out of it, so that is THE ABSOLUTE answer in life, don't even bother trying people, Puppygames said so!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
It's a good thing that for a lot of us making games is just something we enjoy doing and weather or not we make any money is simply a bonus.

I think if it took me 7 years to make a game and I was actually counting on it selling as part of my income I would have to consider never using a computer again.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#5]
7yrs....wow..just.....wow!

I'm going to rush my next game out early and do it in 6yrs.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#6]
Two points on this article, from the comments section:

We don’t really keep accurate logs of what time goes where but the general gist of it is, Chaz does graphics/website/video stuff, I do engine/game/design/business stuff, so the general work is split 50/50 between us. Since we’ve hired Alli and Riven, some of the stuff is now shared out amongst them – Riven does all the clever technical stuff now, and Alli takes care of most of the support and some bugfixing and new development.

Historically, I’d say about 50% of my programming time had been spent on engine and framework coding, and 50% of it on actually coding gameplay. About half my time was spent coding, and the other half was split between businessy stuff, answering support emails, doing interviews, trawling the internet for things about Puppygames, doing builds, managing the server, etc. I can’t speak for Chaz except that he is basically flat out all the time

About 50% of our game code is “engine and framework” and reused through all four of these games. The rest is a mix of bits of pinched code and pure game. Unity would give us just the “engine”, which is about 25% of our code, so we’d still have “framework” and “game” to make, which accounts for about 75% of the effort.

As for how long it would take… we’re getting faster at things all the time. The only thing that really takes time now is game design.

...and....
Secondly, we’re not porting our games to iOS because they are not designed for touch, and they’re too big, and we’d have to rewrite them from scratch. The exception is Titan Attacks, which we are rewriting from scratch (in Monkey), because it’s the only game that would be fun on a touch interface.

but we already knew that, right?

therevills(Posted 2013) [#7]
I thought Jake (Grey Alien) is doing a mobile port for them... so they are still doing at least one more arcade game.

[edit]
http://greyaliengames.com/blog/titan-attacks-mobile-developer-diary-3/

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#8]
Cas did an interview here: http://bigsushi.fm/prince-and-puppies/ , where he's quite honest about how they create things by trial and error.

As for money, like it or not it matters. The post doesn't say anything to discourage creating games as a hobby, it simply points out the realities of trying to do it for a living as an indie.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#9]
Isn't GA doing a Titans Attack port for them? In the comments CAS says that there is no port for mobile comming.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#10]
Isn't GA doing a Titans Attack port for them?

Two posts up Mike!!

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#11]
Yes, I rwad about it. Bu tin one of Cas comments, he/she denies it comming. Later on I read that it is comming. :-)

therevills(Posted 2013) [#12]
Exactly... that's why I posted about Jake (GA)...

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#13]
Cas states that they aren't porting Ultratron to mobile. In one of the later comments he specifically mentions that Titan Attacks is being rewritten in Monkey for mobile and repeats that Ultratron won't be (or Revenge of the Titans).

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#14]
Ok,my bad. Sorry. Need to learn more english.

tiresius(Posted 2013) [#15]
It's a good thing that for a lot of us making games is just something we enjoy doing and weather or not we make any money is simply a bonus.

Yeah this.

I had a big solo game project that was on and off for 10+ years. I made several smaller games for competitions within that time but the main focus was always that one big game (that I could see making $ on eventually). It started to feel more like a bad marriage and less like an enjoyable hobby, so I had to drop it to regain my sanity.

I decided to go Mobile / Monkey for a big change of direction, a nicer language, and make smaller games that I could complete in a reasonable time-frame. And all my coworkers have Android phones. And I might have a better chance (although still slim) of making $ on it. At least enough to pay for the hobby...