HTML5 Canvas Interpreter

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/HTML5 Canvas Interpreter

time-killer-games(Posted 2013) [#1]
-Introduction-

Needless to say, web browsers support interpreting and embedding HTML, JS, CSS, PHP, JSON, PYTHON, JAVA, FLASH, PDF, VBS, ACTIVEX, and many other languages and file types. Most of which are completely cross platform and will work on any platform that has a web browser application. What if all these languages and files where not interpreted but instead completely native on all electronic gaming devices?

-Just a Heads Up-

I'm very certain none of you guys would be interested in a project this complex, but its just a thought that crossed my mind. If nothing else, I guess we can just discuss here the pros and cons between native code and HTML.

-The Concept-

HTML5 has been around for a year or two now, I'm surprised this wasn't thought of before. My idea, what if we as a community, could little by little contribute our individual efforts to make a complete HTML5 Canvas translator written in monkey code. For example, when the monkey app opens, a URL / File path input dialog appears. It opens the document, and detects whether an HTML5 canvas is in use, if so, all the contents within the <canvas></canvas> tags, including external files referenced, JS, images, sound, etc. would be downloaded or copied to the HTML5 translator's data folder, then the raw text contents are translated into native code for various monkey platforms.

-Why HTML?-

This wouldn't replace monkey code, because not everyone who uses monkey is even that familiar with HTML5,JS,and/or CSS3 coding. But all the same I strongly believe it could help many web developers out there, so that they won't need to rely on ad revenue or selling licenses to websites in order to make their money. They could sell their games more effectively and with more options for publishing and selling, all done with their favorite language. HTML is the most commonly pursued programming language, after all it is the language of the web.

-Why Native?-

I don't honestly know why native code is so highly preferred by most people, because in my opinion, any form of programmed work can technically be pirated or decompiled. Native code is harder to decompile, yes, and native code is a little faster, yes, but what other more pressing technical reasons are there? I mean, there is a reason why not everyone would use PhoneGap to make an app, right? I need to get more educated in this area, but all I know is everyone seems to like native code much better.

-In Conclusion-

Is this a project worth pursuing for us as a community, and if so, why? I have mixed feelings. I really like the concept of write once publish anywhere. But is HTML a language that's any good for a base language to code in once and publish anywhere?

Sincerely,
Time Killer Games Productions