Windows 8..

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Windows 8..

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
Just wondering from those of you who are using it as their main OS, how is the OS functioning in comparison to 7, how is monkey/Ted and anything else monkey related working out.

Are there any major issues I should know about, or is everything cool.

Not gotten myself a copy yet, still on the fence and was planning to wait till its had a few updates and its been broken in.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#2]
Desktop software seems fine (it's not much changed from 7, so not surprising). Ted works, as does Jungle. Running and debugging GLFW builds is a bit iffy on my setup and has caused hard resets. I think that may be the sound lib with my card/chipset.

Some older games and the occasional title like Hotline Miami have problems. There were the usual new OS video card driver wobbles early on but nothing recently and newer mainstream games have all worked fine.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
everything works here. ted, monkey, debugging. i think i had to give some things admin privileges.

the new "start" menu feel like it's a separate app, not really integrated. it gets in the way sometimes. overall, win8 feels the same. i wish they spent more time fixing dumb little things in windows. oh well, android will catch up soon.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#4]
Everything works fine here. I use it exclusively on my MacBook Pro and runs it extremely well. Although it is a bit of pain to open up multiple windows explorer with it now.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
that all sounds promising then, thanks for the info guys.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#6]
While it gets time to get used to the new start screen, the desktop mode feels the same but, oh surprise, if you run any GDI intensive app on it, it's a lot faster. So, in this particular area, it's much better. that said, the ergonomics of the whole thing can be improved. Hopefully Blue will fill this gap... ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
blue ?

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#8]
Blue is the next round of updates from MS that is supposed to move to an annual cycle and update across platforms simultaneously(desktop, phone and RT also I suppose.)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#9]
Win8 is faster than Win7.
I like GUI more than Win7-GUI.
I hate metro-apps and do not use them.
But new metro menu is OK.

I installed over 110 Programs (not aps!)
incuding full visual studio express 2010 + 2012 (and VC++ 2008)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#10]
IMPORTANT NOTE!

I posted a time ago that you MUST use fresh Win-Version to upload your apps to the Win-store

This means: You must upgrate to blue, when it is available, to upload modern win-app.

This means also that you must upgrade windows EVERY year, because ms plan every year new version.

But, if you do not upload new app, you do not need to upgrade.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#11]
IMPORTANT NOTE!

I posted a time ago that you MUST use fresh Win-Version to upload your apps to the Win-store

This means: You must upgrate to blue, when it is available, to upload modern win-app.

This means also that you must upgrade windows EVERY year, because ms plan every year new version.

But, if you do not upload new app, you do not need to upgrade.
Blue will be a free update for all windows 8 users (sort of what they used to do with service packs)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#12]
Here is no guarantee...
It is possible that you must buy a low price update (30 Euro)
like apple do this: more frequently cheap updates