Leadwerks 3 is coming...

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Leadwerks 3 is coming...

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#1]
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/1/entry-1048-announcing-leadwerks-3/

Amon(Posted 2013) [#2]
$999 for base product then another $999 for Android Support and another $999 for iOS!

Err! Nope!

Currently Monkey with MonkeyB3D exports to more platforms and is a spec of the price with a ton more features.

Leadwerks 3 = fail!

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#3]
I tend to agree... No point for this, I get Unity Pro for $4,500, LE 3 is $3,000 and ShiVa only $200...

I think this is a terrible decision because he did focus indies and now pros. But why should a pro choose LE3 when he can use Unity with a team behind beyond imagination... lol

I don't want to talk about the missing features (terrain, realtime shadows) either...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
Not sure I would say Fail its clearly being built for a different market space to the one that Monkey occupies, and its clearly not being built for the monkey crowd.

It's defiantly not something I would buy even if I did have the money there are other engines and tool sets out there I would opt for way before I touched leadwerks, but I'm sure it will sell to those who want it enough.

With their GDC booth I only hope that their going to demo some amazing graphical power, that crowed really dont take to out dated graphics when it comes to 3D so I hope they have something to demo that will knock peoples socks off.

Otherwise their just wasting their money.

Amon(Posted 2013) [#5]
I don't want to talk about the missing features (terrain, realtime shadows) either...

That makes the asking price even worse!

Definitely a very bad decision with regards to pricing. If you want to price things much like the Big commercial Engines do i.e. Unity, then at least have the feature set to back it instead of a Roadmap!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#6]
it's nice to see a good product from a local team, and wish them great success.

but i agree with you all, if you have $1000 to spend for such a product, why go with an unknown product? $1500 go with the big product: Unity. I think this is why Shiva3D kept knocking their price down. i hope they did some market testing for pricing.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
when you say local do you mean the fact they used be a blitz team ? or do you mean geographically ?

Because I don't think they have been or could be called a blitz/local team for a very very long time I think the vast majority if not all of their work is done in some form of c

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#8]
Not sure I would say Fail its clearly being built for a different market space to the one that Monkey occupies, and its clearly not being built for the monkey crowd.

Actually I had different hopes. LE2 was Indy. LE3 clearly is not.

wiebow(Posted 2013) [#9]
Define indie :)

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#10]
Well for me indie means more a hobby with some pocket money to flow in from sales. I don't want to invest my yearly income from apps to buy an engine.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#11]
Indie or Not, thats a subject I rant about far to much and one that I have no idea why but really pushes my buttons, in fact it bloody down right infuriates me.

I think this is very very clear cut , but there is such a demand for all things Indie at the moment that people are just latching on, calling themselves indie to try and grab some of the lime light.

For me it's really simple.

INDIE
You do NOT have an Office
You do NOT have a paid workforce
You are NOT making enough money to quit your day job
Your Team is smaller than 4

NOT INDIE
You have an office
You have a paid workforce
You are making enough money to pay for the above.
Your team is Larger than 4

Team Meat : NOT INDIE
Mojang : NOT INDIE
Robot Ent : NOT INDIE

they may have started out life as small indie developers, but the second they made it their full time job and actually started to pay staff, pay bills, and make a profit they stopped being Indie.

Minecraft might have started out life as Notchs little indie project, but the second he started making enough money to rent office space, hire staff and taken on more people, that indie label got dropped like a hot potato.

KickStarter is full of people claiming their indie, "Oh we dont have a publisher so were indie" bullshit, you have a paid staff of 40 and your own office all paid for by your game projects.

OR

Kickstarter "Hay were making this indie game, oh and in the past we made these 40 AAA titles", "oh and our office looks like this and here are our 105 employee's that will all be getting PAID while making this INDIE game"

god it makes me wana laugh and throw something at them at the same time.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#12]
*sign* I totally agree with that!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#13]
It's a long time since 'Indie' wasn't a marketing term IMO. And with the advent of Kickstarter etc., the bird has flown for sure.

Personally, I never used the word.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#14]
Well when some one I have not spoken to in a while asks me what I am upto I still say making Indie Games, because thats what I and we are doing, just because some other high profile big studios are trying to horndog in we shouldn't just change our view of what were doing.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#15]
I am sorry to see this. Since Josh slags off MS every chance he gets, how it is dying and so terrible, it looks like his Apple love has affected his pricing mentality.

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#16]
It's a very limited feature set for that kind of money, I'm a little disappointed TBH.

CodeGit(Posted 2013) [#17]
I wish Josh good luck with LE3. But in reality, at his entry pricing, I just cannot see this working, he is competing against Unity, which has more features, a strong user base and lots of resource. Shiva had to come in at a lower price to try compete with Unity and that seems to have worked for them but coming in at a higher price, just seems like suicide. I hope I am wrong as it would be nice to see LE3 succeed. :(