Tower defense trademark

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Tower defense trademark

Volker(Posted 2013) [#1]
"On June 3, 2008 - COM2US Corporation was awarded the trademark for the term "Tower Defense", filed on June 13, 2007 - serial number 3442002. The corporation has been reported to start enforcing the trademark;[21] specifically on the iPhone/iPod Touch platform as a number of small or independent developers are now receiving messages from Apple citing trademark violation"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_defense

Waldo Reed(Posted 2013) [#2]
They have a bunch of games, here are some:
Homerun Battle 2
9 Innings Baseball
Zombie Runaway

If some of those words have been trademarked, someone should blow the whistle on this company.

While this is a serious issue and I will not be purchasing their games, I had to laugh at the voice in the Zombie Runaway tutorial video. Sounds like they asked the company secretary to read the script with a scary voice. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IZFwOMoyc&feature=player_embedded#!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yet another company exploiting the law for monetary gain.

Here's the original thread on TouchArcade:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=42234&page=1

..guess I will be calling my game "Tower D"

Soap(Posted 2013) [#4]
Really lame trolls. Why we can't have nice things.

Get creative with what you call your game. It's not "TowerD" it's "Defensive Tower Game" or whatever you call your 'towers' "Defensive Pylon Game" - does not really matter what you call it if people see screenshots they will understand, and if they don't understand, knowing what the "TowerD" genre is wouldn't be helpful for them anyway. Yes, some people have never heard of it.

smilertoo(Posted 2013) [#5]
They can only TM the name, they cant do anything about the game style.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#6]
"On June 3, 2008 - COM2US Corporation was awarded the trademark for the term "Tower Defense", filed on June 13, 2007 -

How on earth were they awarded a trademark a common phrase that has been in use in this exact context for years?

For example, I have a 'blizzard tower defense' level for Warcraft III on my PC right in front of me with a 2003 date stamp, and a bunch of others with 'Tower Defense' in the title with 2004 and 2005 dates.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
How on earth were they awarded a trademark a common phrase that has been in use in this exact context for years?

Because the law allows them to. Like Games Workshop. They got a trademark for "Space Marine" and now enforcing it even on book authors which used these terms for centuries. If you get a trademark, you HAVE to protect it actively or your will loose it.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#8]
I had to remove my game "Memory Wars" cause a german company had a trademark on the word "Memory"

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#9]
That's greed in its purest form , trademarks are supposed to be there to protect business from competitors trying to rip them off , from putting another game in this case into the market with the same or similar name in the hope of taking traffic from the original , but to enforce this on people where there is no direct competition is just underhanded and they deserve to lose their TM.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#10]
GW is publishing books now too.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#11]
And I had to change the name "Battleship" of my game. lol