This ever happen to you ?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/This ever happen to you ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#1]
I have just sat back in my chair and felt a little sick in my mouth, after reading a current gamasutra article I clicked a link to a site called turbolenz, on which the first game I tried just knocked me on my ass.

Not only does it look almost identical in style and art, and gameplay and controls, but whats worse is that its running smoother, and faster than mine is.

I feel like I have now just wasted time, effort and hours of code and art for something that will just be looked at as a copy of this other game.

looking for some advice, my gut instinct is to fully redo all of my artwork, and change some of the gameplay to try and differentiate them from each other.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#2]
Well, if it is more or less the same as something already existing, you can always get the chance to see what can you do best to make yours better and, as most of it is already done, release it quickly before there are even more "clones". Just my two cents without having more information

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ziggy gave a great advice. Work on and enhance the gameplay. It the graphics are strongly similar, then rework them. But don't throw it away.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#4]
I watched a couple of your Dev Vlogs last night while I was eating, and the game seems to be coming along nicely.

IMO I would use it as motivation - play that version and see what could be improved, what is different from yours, what is better/worse etc

It's natural to question yourself but if you decided to change the plan every time you see something similar to what you're doing then you would never finish anything.

Whatever you do, don't abandon ship!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks rIKmAN, the little game I am talking about is actually a side project, something I pulled together to allow me to quickly test out new bullet patterns and bullet collision detection code in a game format to make it fun for me to do, so the good thing is that I learnt a lot and T2 will be better as a result, still kinda sucks tho as even though it was a side project it's a fun game.

Here is the doppelganger lol, still feels crazy when I play it.

https://turbulenz.com/games/scorerush

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys, I will defiantly release but wont be in a rush to do so, I might just brand it Pocket Terminal 2, or Terminal 2 Mini or something like that.

John McCubbin(Posted 2013) [#6]
I'm sure I have seen that style of game before a few years ago, right down to the neon glows and the grid defence type gameplay dont worry about it looking like your game, it also looks like the other games that it's based on :P

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yeah it's not bothering me as much now.

just makes you realize that there are a lot of like minded people out there who like the same kinda games, and the same kinda art style, or music, which as I type this I understand should really come as no surprise.

Hotshot(Posted 2013) [#8]
I had check out Terminal 2 and it remind of Xenon 2 with Tron graphics!

Keep Working on it, keep improving and don't let what other bother ya.
You will be surprise how much you have improve your game by working on it :)

Good Luck :)