Please suggest an Android Tablet for development

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Please suggest an Android Tablet for development

semar(Posted 2013) [#1]
All,

I would like to buy and Android Tablet to develop game and applications on it - using monkey.

Do you have some (cheap but good) model to suggest, or to avoid ?

Thanks in advance,
Sergio.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#2]
Im using the Nexus 7, which is pretty cool.

Uncle(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yep same here. Nexus 7 is pretty sweet for testing and playing games on. Reasonable price too.

wiebow(Posted 2013) [#4]
N7 here as well. Great device.

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2013) [#5]
I too am in the Nexus7Club.
Would it be wrong to suggest you don't get one, just so's we all have a different device to test our games on?

... yes... yes, it probably would!
Get a Nexus 7.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#6]
I think for the money the Nexus 7 is hard to beat.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#7]
I have an original Galaxy Tab 7, and I enjoy it still although it's outdated hardware and only Android 2.2. I do testing on it so if it works there, it'll work most anywhere. I would recommend getting Android 2.3 or higher.
The Galaxy Tab 2 is at a good price now, but doesn't have as good a screen as the Nexus.

I would also say the Nook Tablet, but you may need to root it.

cs6505(Posted 2013) [#8]
Nexus 7 here as well. It really is a quite a nice tablet.

benmc(Posted 2013) [#9]
I also have the original Galaxy Tab 7" and it works amazingly well for the old version of Android and my games run on it perfectly. I've also been able to test my games on the original Kindle Fire and that worked really well. Not sure if you can use it for development however - I had my family member download my games from the Kindle store.

semar(Posted 2013) [#10]
Thanks for the answers so far.

The nexus 7 is indeed good, anyway it's also quite pricey..

By the way, what's the difference between a "tablet" and a "tablet pc" ?

Is monkey also capable to deploy to such a device ?

OvineByDesign(Posted 2013) [#11]
Nexus 7 here. Can't go wrong

Samah(Posted 2013) [#12]
What's the battery life like on the nexus 7? I have the original Xoom and the battery is terrible on it. I've yet to find any tablet that can beat the iPad on battery. It says 10 hours, and it's 10 hours.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#13]
It use to be great, but since the update it has gone down hill... I've been forced to always use airplane mode.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2013) [#14]
I've run a couple of Monkey demos on the Kindle Fire HD, and that's certainly capable of decent 3D games too. Only about £160, I believe. (My brother's rooted his, though -- not sure if you'd have to do that, but I don't think so, as Amazon's SDK docs cover the process of developing/building for it.)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#15]
Versus Touchpad is a nice cheap and cheerful one.

semar(Posted 2013) [#16]
I've read that the Nexus 7 does not accept standard Sim cards - is that right ?

And also, on some models there are non-standard plugs, you are forced to buy an extra cable..

Quite disappointed so far. I though that the technology would have made some step forward..

Anyway. I find the Versus Touchpad not bad for the price. But I can't found it on Amazon. The result by the search for "versus touchpad 7" gives me this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=versus+touchpad+7&rh=n%3A541966%2Ck%3Aversus+touchpad+7

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#17]
Mini USB is fine, no need for non-standard cables.

Standard Micro SIM too.

Nothing non-standard on it.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#18]
I finally joined the Android bandwagon by getting myself a Nexus 7 today. Liking it so far.