unu - all in one console (Kickstarter)

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/unu - all in one console (Kickstarter)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#1]
new console again (android)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqwlOHVP9q4

https://www.facebook.com/Unutablet

(ups, not kickstater)

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#2]
The more of these things come out, the more it will kill them. To much fragmentation.

c.k.(Posted 2013) [#3]
MikeHart, no no no! The more the merrier! This is always a positive thing for consumers.

I think "fragmentation" was a buzzword invented by Apple to downplay the choice offered to those who don't buy into the iEverything marketing.

Think about it. If, during the early computing days, people griped about "fragmentation," where would we be today? Do you remember the days of all those graphics cards and chipsets?

The problem of "fragmentation" is imaginary, especially given today's tools and techniques... and monkey. :-)

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#4]
I don't think this will be a huge problem. People talk about repeating what happened on the 80's when a bunch of consoles came out.
I see this more like when tablets started to appear, yo can find many tablets on all size, shapes, and brands. No one has stopped buying tablets, you can even see people buying bad chinese copies of tablets and this hasn't affected the developers market.
I find a good thing here because all of the new console run the same OS, that means you can code the game once and still deploy on all of this consoles, plus the stores are also very open to accepting small developers.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#5]
Seriously, all these consoles will have their own markets. So their users will only see a fragmentation of apps out there. So to cater to all these people, you need to publish on each console. And it has how many users? A market becomes interesting, when you serve A LOT of people. I just doubt that each of these toys will have a lot of users. And then spending time and effort on converting for such devices, I can't see it being justified. Maybe I am wrong, maybe not.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#6]
....and now, the Asus Qube!
http://phandroid.com/2013/01/10/hands-on-asus-qube-with-google-tv-at-ces-2012-video/

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
This is just crazy. If I see them in my local media store for longer than half a year, I will be surprised.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#8]
I think your not so wrong. I have to agree with you Mike. Too many company are currently releasing out similar android consoles. At first I was looking forward to develop with the OUYA but now i see that this is more or less relevant due to upcoming fragmentation. It would be better to wait until one or the other falls before investing in it any of them. Sure this give choice for customers.. but this isn't good for us the developers.

skid(Posted 2013) [#9]
Raspberry Pi needs to lift their game now the gamers have arrived.

I'm liking the look of the new design of the $79 gamestick.

I spent my electronics budget this month on more 80's audio gear:(

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#10]
The game stick is already available in a sense, any hdmi android stick with a Bluetooth joystick IS a gamestick. These guys have made half a million bucks through kickstarter marketing existing tech, lol.