Braid

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Braid

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#1]
I know it has been out quite some time but I didn't get to play it until now.

So I generally don't like Jump & Runs, Platformers or Puzzle games but Braid is so different ...
It seems the author has put a lot of thought into it, because really, there are no filler levels, the game respects you in the way that it doesn't assume you are dumb and need hand holding all the time (like most AAA games do today) and as a consequence it's a whole other feeling when you solve a puzzle.

Also it's really interesting how everything revolves around 1 core theme which is explored to it's fullest. As far as I understood, it even branches into the 'story'.
Imo Braid is a must-play-game for every gamedev.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#2]
I got it as part of a bundle and never played it. Think I will give it a whirl :)

Waldo Reed(Posted 2012) [#3]
Agreed, its gameplay is good to be familiar with as it inspires. As well as others: LIMBO and Katamari Damacy for their simplicity, Rochard and Portal for weapon/tool uniqueness, and The Binding of Isaac for its large variety and randomness of rooms, monsters, and power-ups/downs which leads to a lot of replayability.

smilertoo(Posted 2012) [#4]
I thought Braid was great until about half way, then the puzzles started getting obtuse.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#5]
I love the music, style and story but I think it starts obtuse. I think it is the second level where there are two pieces right at the end and I tried to get them for a good while. Then I go check a walkthrough and it says to leave them, you can't get them? I am like wtf, I am just trying to learn game mechanics and you already throw things that you can't get?

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#6]
I bought this for the XBox360 and really enjoyed it.

I realized right at the beginning those pieces and others were not reachable with out some more advanced abilities. I eventually came back and was able to complete all of the puzzles.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#7]
If they had put one line of text that said you come back later and some pieces aren't available, that would have been fine. I am thinking it is a linear world and that I am not coming back so my thought process is that everything should be reachable.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#8]
Why0Why:
It surly has it's flaws but I think the thing you mentioned is not a flaw. It's more that you are not used to the fact you can't get something immediately in a modern game, although it surely is debatable why you would then even show it to the player. I felt the same when I first got to it.

Funny Fact: I too got it as part of a bundle (I think Indie Bundle 3) and haven't played it till now.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#9]
I have a game on the projects list where the initial levels cannot be 100% completed by a "Level 1" player character. So, yeah, the idea has merit. The execution is important.

I'd say, welcome to a new game dynamic. :-)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#10]
I've tried to play Braid a few times in the past few years. Each time i just can't find myself wanting to continue with it. Dunno... I think the "platformer puzzle" approach just didn't quite appeal much to me. However, i did find the game Limbo to be much more enjoyable.

Kauffy(Posted 2012) [#11]
I bought a Humble Bundle recently that included a good number of unique and interesting games-- certainly good fodder for the aspiring/working-at-it indie dev.

I've found FTL to be a lot of fun for the space exploration genre-- doing away with the "buy low, sell high" economics that usually make up the game and instead forcing the player into an essentially fixed number of turns in-game by having them pursued. It works out pretty well.

I also found the platform puzzler Closure surprisingly good-- fundamentally, all the puzzles revolve around what is visible on-screen and the game is entirely in darkness, save for the lightsources that make up the puzzles. If something blocks your way, find a way to put it in darkness. If you need a floor to walk on, find a way to put some light on it.