NOOK device

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/NOOK device

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

does anymone submit apps for the NOOK as well? If so is there anything I should take care off?

Volker(Posted 2012) [#2]
Isn't the NOOK market for US developer only?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#3]
No. It's now open for US, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Australia.

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/20868356-advice-on-the-submisson-process-for-apps-us-and-non-us-developers

And NOOK comes to the UK now as well and is planned for Germany and other countries.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#4]
Oh, I didn't know that. At christmas I will get a Kindle Fire HD. MAybe I should get a Nook too. :-)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#5]
Lol, well. At the moment I try to get hands on a EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS.gov which is needed for the NOOK dev account. Will make a call there as for the online form you need a US SSN or tax number. Fax takes up to 4 weeks and with a phone call you get that EIN immediately.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#6]
Right, got my EIN. I had an operator on phone which had a texas slang like G.W.Bush. LOL. Now that was an interesting experience...

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#7]
Sure it was. Once i had to reactivate a windows oem license. Had someone from irland on the phone. With his accent he had to tell me a new 32+ digit serial number. Now that was fun.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#8]
ROFL.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#9]
Presumably you only need an EIN if you are selling apps? i.e. not needed for freebies.

I had a look at the application form (to be a nook developer), and it doesn't look very friendly to a small, hobby developer - questions about support hours, why Nook users would want your app etc.

What are others' take on this? Are they just trying to flush out time wasters or do they just want mainstream apps only?

PS - seen the specs for the new Nook devices.. very nice :-)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#10]
No, you need that EIN always for the account creation. Still in review on my site. ...

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#11]
@Xaron, are you sure? It looked like you could select "yes" or "no" for the EIN on the account creation screen..

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#12]
I signed up for NOOK Apps about a year ago and have 2 apps on it so far (one build with Monkey circa v44).

As far as support information, you don't need to provide phone support: I only provide email support. And IIRC, there's a way to indicate response time (ie. "within 24h", "within 48h".) FWIW, after over a year and thousands and thousands of downloads, I've only had one email from a customer asking if the app was available for any other device.

B&N is very small/indie-dev friendly (I'm a one man operation). As an example, when prep'ing my non-monkey app for the new HD/HD+ devices it kept crashing during their review. I asked If I could send them a debug build, with all debug logging still on, run it, and send me back the crash logs. They obliged, sending back the logs (and even screen captures) which allowed me to find/fix the bug.

BTW, the Monkey app (unsurprisingly, having been build with such an early version) did not pass their preliminary testing on the new HD/HD+ devices. I do have an HD+ on pre-order so it will be interesting to see how the most recent version of Monkey performs.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hey, DGuy, thanks for the update - I'm going to give publishing to the Nook a go :-)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#14]
My account is still in review. LOL... Will keep you posted when this is resolved. All because of my EIN...

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#15]
I'll see how it goes for me. Don't have an EIN, but registered anyhow.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#16]
So finally they approved my account.

BUT, my apps got rejected because of this:

Unfortunately we are not able to approve your application for
distribution at this time for the following reasons:

Files: Rejected:
Test Case #11

Your app disables the power save settings without explicit notice to the
user. Please refer to the test criteria information, address the issue,
and resubmit.
Failed on the following device(s):

NOOK Color (Froyo) 1.4 [ X ]
NOOK Tablet (Gingerbread) 1.4.1 [ X ]
NOOK HD+ (Ice Cream Sandwich) 2.0 [ X ]
NOOK HD (Ice Cream Sandwich) 2.0 [ X ]

Result: The App disables the screen timeout.

The manifest is just a plain manifest without any extra permissions needed. I even did not know that Monkey apps disable the power save settings? How's that?

Edit: That's what I've found regarding this issue: http://tinyurl.com/bl64k87

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#17]
This would be the test it's failing:

Test Case #11 - App handles screen timeout and power save settings
Objective:

App must suspend based on the screen timeout selected by the user

Steps:

On your NOOK, select Settings > Screen > Screen timeout > 2 minutes
Launch the app
Let the device sit for 2 minutes
Expected Results:

After two minutes the screen should turn off and the device should be powered off.

Just ran a quick test on my NOOK HD+ and Monkey is indeed preventing the device from sleeping.

It's not taking the WAKE_LOCK permission nor trying to use the PowerManager, so it must be doing something else (intentionally or unintentionally) which is keeping the device awake.

Need to investigate this ...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#18]
interesting...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2131948/force-screen-on

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#19]
Found the cause ...

In the file "main.xml":
<MONKEY_ROOT>/targets/android/templates/res/layout/main.xml

The monkey view specifies:
android:keepScreenOn="true"

Set to "false" and screen will sleep/power-down as expected.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#20]
That is the beauty of Monkey. So easy to customize to your needs. With other tools you would have waited weeks/months for a solution.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#21]
Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. Have resubmitted my apps. Fingers crossed!

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#22]
Btw. isn't this preprocessor value surpose to control it?

#MOJO_AUTO_SUSPEND_ENABLED=true

DGuy(Posted 2012) [#23]
#MOJO_AUTO_SUSPEND_ENABLED

Is only be applicable to the desktop and controls what happens when the program loses focus: Does it suspend (i.e. pause) or keep running?