Free vs paid vs freemium

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Free vs paid vs freemium

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all,

I'm scratching my head why so many devs give away their (good!) games for free completely? I mean a lot of games are pretty good and have a lot of work in it.

I usually do a demo (lite) version (to test it) and a paid version (for those who like it). Never tried freemium up to now.

I'd love to hear your opinions about that!

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#2]
Maybe the do it to raise their userbase. Personally i wpuld always put ads inside a free app, so it wouldn't be really totally free.

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#3]
I would be interested in this discussion as well. Not that I ever finish anything, but I would be interested none the less :P

I think si could add some input based on NSS. He used different methods on different platforms and I believe he has stated that he would do it differently now.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#4]
Maybe some words about my games so far..

My game battleship is available as lite and full version. Here are some numbers from the Android market.

English version:

Downloads Lite: 15,226 (active 2,917 WTF?!)
Sales Full: 692 (active 421)

German version:

Downloads Lite: 140,192 (active 32,330)
Sales Full: 2,677 (active 1,936)

So you can assume that about 2-4% of your lite users will buy the full version, a number which I've found in the web as well.

Admob income is pretty stable with about $50 per month for an active install base of about 32,000 for the german lite.

So all in all I have roughly 5-10 sales per day for Android, same for iOS and maybe 1-3 for Windows Phone 7.

silentshark(Posted 2012) [#5]
Interesting that you get nearly 10x more downloads on th german version, xaron

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yes. I think it's worth to focus more on local markets. There are hundreds of battleship games out there but only a few Schiffe versenken as it's called in Germany so it can be found easier in the German market than in the US.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#7]
Are these sales stats include the Amazon store?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#8]
No. Amazon is a different horse. Will try to share these numbers as well. ;)

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#9]
Well Amazon... So far I had exactly 1 (ONE) sale for amazon.de and 1 (ONE) for amazon.co.uk

Beside that amazon.com (US) is very successful.

You might remember I was in the Free App of the Day promotion of my game Battleship which lead to an incredible download number of 140,000 on that particular day.

Before the sales where around 10 per day, after that it climbed to 200 per day, the slowly went down to 100 per day for the next weeks and currently came down much further to about 20-40 per day which is aweseome.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#10]
That is awesome. Congratulations!

okee(Posted 2012) [#11]
How does adMob work, do people have to click on the ad
or is it based on installs ?

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#12]
Admob is based on impression and clicks. The later one will give better revenue.

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#13]
Actually it's only based on clicks when it comes to revenue or am I wrong?

All in all I had with my battle ship game so far

2,305,713 requests (admob banner) which lead to an income of $654.96 with an eCPM of $0.29. The time period is about 6 months.

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#14]
I always thought that impressions count with Admob too. But hey, maybe I am wrong.

This eCPM is by 1000 impressions. When you do the math with your numbers, you get close to your income value.

cageInfamous(Posted 2012) [#15]
Has anyone tried Airpush? I thought it looked interesting.
http://www.airpush.com/

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#16]
Airpush looks nice! Who's got a mod for it? :-)

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#17]
I don't know I would not like an app to start spamming my notification bar and putting random icons on my home screen(s).

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#18]
Heh, I think there is money to be made for the first person to make an AirPush blocker...

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#19]
There are already apps who detect Airpush and help you deinstall them. Airpush is a bad concept. Very intrusive!

cageInfamous(Posted 2012) [#20]
haha I suppose it would be annoying to have ads spamming your device, but the Smart Wall doesn't seem too bad.

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#21]
Oh, I didn't look that far into it. If it's annoying, then I withdraw my consideration. :-)