PSM Store

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/PSM Store

vbnz(Posted 2012) [#1]
PlayStation Mobile Store will launch at 3th of October!!!
Will you post your's app on PSM store?
Have you PS Certificied device?(PSP Vita,mobile phones..)
Have you tested Monkey on PSM on real device,is all functions working correctly?

http://www.mobileburn.com/20521/news/sony-to-launch-playstation-mobile-store-october-3

Sincerely, vbnz.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#2]
I really want a PSP Vita, they look rather sexy and having physical controls is going to be really great. Just can't beat the tactile response. Gong to be great fun writing monkey games for it, hopefully I can afford one at the end of this month!

Do you have one vbnz? If so, how are you finding the monkey experience? :)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#3]
I would be focusing a lot more on it but unfortunately, Monkey's PSM target has not quite been up to par as the other targets.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#4]
I have a Vita but have not tested latest build. First builds did work. @Mark Can you please make this target a momentary priority if there is anything important left?

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#5]
Latest build also works but performance on it is still quite bad.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#6]
I'm sure the performance will increase

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
Its not that the Vita's performance itself is bad, any code written natively using the SDK is blazing fast on it (not the emulator though). But just the monkey's export code runs slow and the FPS stutters quite a bit on it, even with minimal activity going in the screen.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#8]
I don't think it will stop me buying one, I'm sure Mark will improve the performance for the PSM target in time.

vbnz(Posted 2012) [#9]
NoOdle,I don't have psp vita.
How do you check the performance of monkey,if you don't have real device?

Soap(Posted 2012) [#10]
You need a real device to check performance on a real device.

vbnz(Posted 2012) [#11]
Soap,I know it. This question I asked to Noodle!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#12]
Ugh...just tested it again. I should mention that in the PSM emulator, it runs flawlessly - full 59-60 fps. Load it onto the Vita and getting a stuttering 12-20 fps.

marksibly(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hi,

I think I know what's up here - the Vita is vsycning which is clashing with the timing code.

Monkey needs more update 'modes' I think - esp. one to just run freely, processing update/render as fast as possible.

I rewrote their sprites demo in Monkey and it runs very smoothly now if I disable the Monkey timing code like this.

CodeGit(Posted 2012) [#14]
Mark, this is great news. Thanks

MikeHart(Posted 2012) [#15]
Awesome news Mark.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#16]
Hey that is totally awesome news!!! Can't wait to get this up and running on the Vita!

byo(Posted 2012) [#17]
Excellent idea, Mark!
That should make any user target run as smooth as possible without glitches.
I'm very excited about this!

hobo(Posted 2012) [#18]
Hello all, i'm thinking of targeting Pair Panic onto PSMobile.

I notice the problems discussed above regarding performance.

Am I right in thinking Mark is looking into it and will release an update in the future or is this something we can fix ourselves now?

Thanks.

tiresius(Posted 2012) [#19]
Mark sped up performance in V66 already, check out the latest changes.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#20]
V66 still had performance problems for me testing on a Vita device (in most all demos and our games), although it seemed to work better it is not yet reliable enough to release games for the PSM target unless your game is only a number of static screens.

hobo(Posted 2012) [#21]
Thanks for the info guys.