Programming and Brain Fog?

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Programming and Brain Fog?

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#1]
Does anyone else have times when they just can't think well enough to do any sort of substantial programming?

Caffeine helps a lot but then you run the risk of getting into an irritable state where it is also very difficult to program. Sometimes though if I get a sweet spot I can get into a groove where I can go for 16 hours with breaks.

Any thoughts on this?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#2]
getting enough sleep
getting enough exercise

healthy body = healthy mind

simonh(Posted 2012) [#3]
1. Get some exercise during the day, get the feel-good chemicals flowing.
2. Eat sensibly throughout the day - avoiding sugary food and drinks.
3. Go to bed at a sensible time and get plenty of sleep.

Of course this is the opposite to what most coders do!

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#4]
I get a huge pile of sleep every day (9-10 hours)

I can bench 350. I work out 4-6 days a week. If I did not do this I would be incapable of doing anything.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#5]
I cant work when there are other people around, I just feel unfocused

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#6]
One solution I've come up with is to order my todo list according to difficulty. When I feel particularly shitty, I will do a few things from the easier part of the list, and when I feel good I work on the harder parts. Sometimes working on easy things gets my brain sufficiently entrained to do harder problems.

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#7]
Does anyone else have times when they just can't think well enough to do any sort of substantial programming?
When I have one of those days; I just leave it alone.

I cant work when there are other people around, I just feel unfocused
Me too. But then I think it's just because I'm paranoid.

Wish I ******* could. I'm lucky if I get 7 hours.

Exercise wise I go to the gym 4-5 times a week for an 3/4 hr - 2 hrs depending on what type of training I'm doing.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brain_That_Changes_Itself

When I have one of those days; I just leave it alone.

My problem is I have it a lot. :( I'm almost wondering if it's some sort of adrenal fatigue due to excessive caffeine consumption over time.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#9]

This happens to me quite often. Back in the day, i would overcome this issue by having a smoke break and almost each time, i would somehow solve the coding issue in my mind and get back into action. But of course it wasn't the smokes that did it, it was the fact that i was able to take a break from the monotonous work and allowed my mind to catch up.

Holy sh*t...i wish I can get half that much each night..