Becoming wealthy from mobile games

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Becoming wealthy from mobile games

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#1]
I've been considering this a lot, what's the chance of becoming wealthy from developing mobile games, can anyone achieve this?

What do you think?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
can anyone achieve this?

Yes

What do you think?

You need to be lucky.... Good Luck :)

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#3]
What do you think?

Get in early, there's a couple new markets opening up this year (hint, hint).

Rex Rhino(Posted 2012) [#4]
Teaboy:

You *CAN* get wealthy making mobile games... just like you *CAN* get wealthy playing in a rock band.

That does not mean that you will get wealthy. It is a combination of skill and luck.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#5]
There are quite honestly better ways to try to achieve wealth. Only make games if that's what you want to do. If you want to make money then... you probably won't. :)

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#6]
Firstly, you need to define "wealthy". Is enough money coming in to get by and a bit in the bank wealthy to you? Mortgage-free on a modest semi-detached in some cheap town in the north of England? Swanky pad in London/NY/Paris and enough cash to never have to work again if you don't want to? Owning a crewed yacht? Owning an island?

Secondly, the question "can anyone achieve this?" (assuming we get a definition of "this") can be read two ways depending on how relaxed you are about interpretation: "Is it something that is achievable by pretty much any individual?" or "Is it something that is achievable at all?".

If you meant the first then no, I'd say it isn't. Simply creating a functioning game isn't something that most people can do -- even with Monkey. Creating a game that might sell in large quantities in the maturing mobile market is much harder still.

If you meant the second then the answer is demonstrably yes (providing that your expectations of wealth are modest). At least for the moment it is still possible for a solo dev or small team to create games that can break into the big sellers and generate thousands of dollars a day. Doing so is not easy, not predictable and not very likely if you consider how many games projects are started to how many finish, never mind make a few sales, but it can be done.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#7]
There are quite honestly better ways to try to achieve wealth.

Perhaps, but are they as fun in the process? Stock broker, hedge-fund manager, real estate investor, Facebook employee, diamond mine owner, cocaine drug lord...

Personally, NOW IS THE TIME. Mobile is hot, games are a viable and growing business that is rivaling the movie business. Zynga is huge and is buying out lots of businesses, Big Fish Games just swapped their CEO so they may be up for new acquisitions, EA is buying out many many small game makers here in the Bay Area.

Now's the time I say. But it won't be easy, since everyone's doing it.

Soap(Posted 2012) [#8]
There are plenty of fun things you can do which have a much better chance of making you wealthy. How much do you want to make? You can make 100k a year being a nurse in some places, and helping people is very rewarding. Most people who make games won't make money - many iOS games which don't break the top 100 do not make up for dev costs. For every game which sells well, there is another game with even more polish, time, and money put into it which just doesn't sell. There's skill involved, but also luck. It's not completely bleak but just a reality check... only do this if you genuinely enjoy it, not that you want to get rich. It can't just be about money, but it also can't not be about money. Success favors perseverance. I agree with you too. Right now is the best time ever to be making games. :)

Why0Why(Posted 2012) [#9]
All of the above is good advice. Starting with Monkey is a great choice. Being able to release to so many platforms is a HUGE advantage. Following a model like New Star Soccer where you can publish a flash version to help drive sales to mobile/PC versions is what I will do if I ever actually finish something decent!

The potential is there with hard work and polish and even some luck. Good luck!

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#10]
I think what Si has done with New Star Soccer should be an inspiration for everyone trying to make good in the indie scene.

The way that game has took off has been nothing short of remarkable, and it was made in Monkey - so we all have the tools here already.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#11]
While Si has a great game, for sure what has helped him was his userbase form his desktop games. And how long is he working on NSS? 10 years?