Website Keywords - Higher search result

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Website Keywords - Higher search result

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#1]
Does anyone have any experience at this? I just received a phone call from my old boss asking if I could make her site appear in the top 30 google results.

After reading some things on google it seems I have to place keywords in the code of the website in tags.

Im trying to work out if its worth my time.... does anyone know how much you can charge to do this? How long it could take etc etc?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#2]
It's called SEO (search engine optimization).

If you Google "SEO," you'll get tons of links. This might be a good start: http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#3]
ah awesome thank you!! I had no idea what it was called! I'll give that website a read now, looks very useful!

Aman(Posted 2012) [#4]
Don't use too much SEO though. Google is punishing websites that uses too much SEO. They even punished their own browser for doing that.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#5]
"Making her site appear in the top 30 results" can work, but for very specific keywords only.

For example "computer repair in smalltown, anystate" is not that big a deal. But trying to get in the first ten thousand results for "computer repair" is going to be near impossible since you'll be competing with the other 10 million companies around the works that are in the same line of business, many of which already do their own SEO stuff.

Like Aman mentions above, it's a dangerous procedure too: Google also has a bunch of algorithms that try to detect overzealous SEO, and will actually punish sites that use it too much... Which could result in you getting a much lower ranking, or being dropped altogether.

Any remember: It's very common to see spam from SEO companies -claiming- they can get you in the 10/25/50/whatever of Google, but that's a complete scam since they are promising things that are impossible to deliver.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#6]
She wanted to be in the top 30 for a search containing "bath guesthouses", its quite a small city so should be possible. I did decline the job as I didn't think I could guarantee what she wanted having no experience at it.

Thank you all for the information, was very helpful in making my decision :)