The new iPad is coming my way.

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/The new iPad is coming my way.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#1]
I just ordered the new iPad.
Can't wait to get it into my hands.
I ordered it online at Apple so I will have to wait 1-2 weeks to get it.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
Did you already have an iPad 1 or 2 before?

I've seen the new iPad and its okay, no wow factor... its an iPad 2 but faster and higher res screen and camera (which takes longer to charge and gets pretty warm).

matt(Posted 2012) [#3]
For me the screen is a real game changer, whilst I briefly had both an iPad 2 and the new iPad I found it hard to go back to the iPad 2. The screen looked as if it was 10 years old rather than 1 year old.

You could see it as an incremental improvement, but you'd be missing the point - the screen is amazing.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
I compared the iPad 2 and iPad 3 next to each other, yeah iPad 3 is better - but if I hadnt compared them next to each other I wouldnt have seen the difference.

(Oh BTW if you query the device about it's screen res, it still reports 1024x768 - LOL)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#5]
I have an iPad 1 so I guess its a big step up for me.

JIM(Posted 2012) [#6]
It feels a lot heavier.

The resolution is noticeable here and there (maps for example), but not quite worth it.

I'd honestly choose iPad 2 solely based on the fact that the new one is heavy. If Apple are expecting me to rest it on a table or on my lap, I have a laptop and netbook for that and both can do a lot more than an ipad.

@Tri|Ga|De
I would't count it as a big step up unless you play HD games. Otherwise, it's 90% the same. You can browse the internet, watch a movie or play angry birds on it. No reason to have a bigger screen or faster CPU for that.

impixi(Posted 2012) [#7]

...its an iPad 2 but faster...

Not necessarily. The high resolution display basically eats the extra CPU grunt. From the Ars Technica review:

But those looking for significant performance improvements over the iPad 2 will be disappointed, as might those who have no need for a high-resolution display. The iPad 3's updated processor and memory bump left it performing at about the same level as the iPad 2, so it's clear that most technical improvements exist to keep the retina display chugging.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2012/03/pixel-pumping-prowess-ars-reviews-the-third-generation-ipad.ars

matt(Posted 2012) [#8]
This is a great read for all those interested:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/03/welcome-to-the-post-pc-era.html

wiebow(Posted 2012) [#9]
I wish you lots of fun with your overpriced, overheating and overhyped tablet.

Sorry, I became anti iDevice some time ago... But I do mean it, I hope you enjoy your new device immensely.

anawiki(Posted 2012) [#10]
I don't get why people say what iDevices are overpriced, especially iPad, while all other competitors are at similar price point and not necessarily the same level of quality.

I'll be ordering mine new iPad soon (and I have both 1 & 2). For me it's the screen and it will be most probably my primarily photo editing device.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2012) [#11]
They finally got me.

I haven't used many Apple devices since the Toolbox programming days in 1992. I did have an ipod but I wasn't overly impressed with that.

This iPod Touch I just got for development?

I am flabbergasted by how great it is. Also running OSX in a VM has impressed me quite extremely. If it's that smooth and nice in a VM I am getting a real one. Looks like I need one anyway...

matty(Posted 2012) [#12]
ACCC (Australian consumer watchdog) has mounted a legal claim against Apple for inability to use 4G in the Australian Market despite advertising as such (due to Telstra using a different signal or something)...Apple has decided to refund customers...(on radio this morning...)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yeah I heard that too Matty... the 4G in the "new" iPad is only compatible with America's 4G network or something like that.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#14]
Latest news is that is coming this friday......

I and I don't care if other thinks is a overpriced or overhyped.
I'm really looking forward to my new iPad. Then my iPad 1 can retire.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#15]
It has arrived!
It is very nice!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#16]
I have all 3 three of them (actually, my mom has been using the iPad 1 for the past year so i guess its "hers" now). New iPad is definitely much better, though i would say that the iPad 2 can still hold its own in the sea of "post-pc" devices. I just got back on a trip from Cambodia, after loading all the my pics and videos taken with my 4s onto it...the "retina" display is just frickin mind blowing. Its awesome :).

TheRedFox(Posted 2012) [#17]
Given my super bad eyesight, I can't care less of an higher resolution...