Android Market App - no longer works on my phone

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Android Market App - no longer works on my phone

matty(Posted 2012) [#1]
Well, this certainly makes it difficult to test other apps and games on my phone....

I bought my phone in May 2011 - an HTC Desire. Market worked great for the first few months...then Google updated their market app and for some reason the new version doesn't like my phone - 2 to 3 minutes to open the market app, another minute to refresh each page..most of the time it times out...

After reading various forums the only way to get around this is to uninstall updates from the market...which is fine..and the market then works (original factory install) but on closing the market app it then reinstalls the updates causing the problem again.

However now, for some reason when I last went to the android market it wouldn't even let me connect...saying I need to log in to my account...bit difficult on a phone when I don't need to log into anything...and there's no option anywhere for username and password...

Tried it the next day and what's more bizarre the market has been completely uninstalled from my phone!!!!

After previous attempts to discuss issues with google not being all that effective I guess my time as an android developer is nearing the end.....

....grumble grumble grumble....

Matt

benmc(Posted 2012) [#2]
Are you referring to the Android Market converting to Google Play?

Many of my games cater to older Android phone users, and my Android Market sales have almost fallen off the map since this Google Play app came out. It's as if all my potential customers can't even get to my games, but I have no way of knowing what's actually going on - just the coincidence that this all started happening the same time Google Play started hitting devices.

The more I read things like this, the more I get frustrated.

matty(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'm referring simply to the incremental updates to the android market app that happen from time to time (before google play). After a particular update the market app became useless - impossible to search for things or browse the market.

However the second issue of not being able to even enter the market - maybe that is related to google play since it's been a while since I've bothered even looking at the market on my phone - and it now seems to have uninstalled itself from my phone....

Yes....frustrating.

matty(Posted 2012) [#4]
Ahhh..I see....

Google removed the "Market" app from my phone and replaced it with an app called "Play Store".

because my apps are listed alphabetically, and because I was never informed of this change - I thought I'd lost the market.

Actually it is still there under "Play Store"....however upon opening it I still have the problem of this new version being unusable on my phone "No Connection" shown / time out errors every screen....

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#5]
Is that true when you connect via wifi? I know that the market app is really fussy about my mobile broadband connection quality.

matty(Posted 2012) [#6]
Ahhh...another aha moment....

You're right muddy_shoes. My boss just showed me how to use wifi on my phone using the company network - market and internet connects instantly and works fine.

And to think that for the past 4-5 months I've not used the market because I thought it no longer worked on my phone.....