Monkey users - using apple computers

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Monkey users - using apple computers

GC-Martijn(Posted 2011) [#1]
I think that a real monkey user uses a Apple Imac.

Because when you want to make (more) money with your app, you will have to make it for ipad/iphone.
But you can't if you use windows.

I'm at the moment a windows user, and have now 2 options to compile for ipad/iphone.

Legal
- buy a mac mini for $600,- , now you can use the ipad emulator.
- when you want to publish your app you will need to join Apple’s developer program which currently costs about $100USD per year
Total cost for me: $ 700,- the first year :S

Non-Legal:
- hackintosh for your windows pc...
- I don't know if apple can see that when you publish your game using hackintosh ?
- I think its very slow

In other words, what computer will you need for monkey: a mac
Because then you can build for each platform.

Or are there other/better ways ?

pantson(Posted 2011) [#2]
Very good point. I'm at the same crossroads.

They are the only 2 ways to dev for iTunes.
I'm looking for a cheap secondhand intel iMac. Dont care about spec as its all about iPod and iPad at the end of the day.
Not sure if they can see Hackintosh's

Can you apps make profit?

5 year business plan
====================
Investment Mac $600
5 year iTunes account $500
your time $???

Min sales = $220 a year before profit is made.

Is this feasible? maybe someone can comment who devs using Monkey on iTunes

GC-Martijn(Posted 2011) [#3]
I don't know if I get any profit in the future, it's a hobby (at the moment).

The next computer I'm going to buy is a Imac because I want to keep it legal.
And make things for the ipad/iphone. But do I like the change to os Lion :S

The real best option for me is a legal iphone/ipad emulator/compiler for windows, "but that are dreams".

Now you can see how Apple make money using developers :S

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#4]
How do you know that Hackintosh is not legal? I mean you buy the OS and install it on a PC.

pantson(Posted 2011) [#5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86#Legal_issues_and_Apple_objections
sounds like the were more miffed at their tech and property being bypassed.
talk about grey

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#6]
I agree with Xaron.
the other way you can do it is buy a mac and dual install OSX and Windows. that is perfectly legal as there are programs that make the installation a breeze such as Parallel if you want to pay for it. or Boot Camp if you want a limited free installation. limited as in 32 GB HD limit for Windows. you would need to get a legal copy of Windows to install dough. I have both installed in my macBook Pro. I am using my old Windows XP Pro key from my old windows laptop that completely fried. I don't know how Microsoft approved it but they did. it's registered and activated. I guess as long as the key is not installed in more than one computer at the same time it's ok.

Funny story:
A guy sold me this Macbook Pro 2010 model for $220 because it was working really slow. Apparently, he had dropped liquid and he thought the logic board was fried. I took a chance seeing as the laptop was still working and all that appeared to be was that the keyboard was not working correctly. I ordered another keyboard from Ebay, installed it and wall-a a perfectly working $900 Macbook Pro. So now I sold my old Macbook 2008 model making the Macbook Pro practically free. Got a better laptop and money in my pocket, all of this thanks to the magic of Craigslist!

Merry Christmas to me! LOL.

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#7]
Nice story, Jesse! Can you find me some cookware and a vacuum cleaner? Thanks! :-D

I wonder if those of you who can't afford to buy a mac right now could rent or otherwise make use of someone else's mac? I have a mac mini I could use to do whatever needs to be done to your code. I'm sure there are others here who have access to a mac that could perform the same functions. This might not be workable, but I don't know enough to not suggest it. :-)

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#8]
If it is a hobby, then don't worry, each hobby eats money. If it is something a bit more business oriented, then earning back your investment is not that hard (unless you make really crappy games).

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
Unless you've got a groundbreaking idea for an app that's going to take the world by storm and will have a lot of marketing power behind it, I'd strongly advise against buying a Mac for the purposes of getting apps onto the app store. Most apps have [as good as] zero visibility so if you don't have a strong marketing strategy, I really wouldn't bother.

Min sales = $220 a year before profit is made.
That's achievable. and probably about on a par with what you can expect... but is that all you really want? I'd consider something a catastrophic failure if it was only making me $20 a month.

[edit] Oh, and for the record, Crime Solitaire has sold 208 copies in six weeks at $1.99 on the app store, which is pretty crap.

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#10]
208 copies ain't much, but that's a start. I wonder if our Perfect Tree will get similar sales (that's a taste of things for us with AppStore... But Apple has to approve it by Dec 22th).

You don't need mega bucks to make money on App Store, but it ain't as easy as putting the game on portals.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#11]
Actually I use both a Mac with Lion (using BootCamp to have Windows as well) and a Windows PC with Snow Leopard under VMWare.

I can confirm that there is no problem with submitting an app to the Appstore using the VMWare Mac. I dit it with Blotty Pots.

Soap(Posted 2011) [#12]
Unless you get featured, you pay 5k in a day for promotion, or you have a publisher with an already established promotion network promoting your game your game really doesn't have much of a chance to get into the charts and make the big sales.

For people who are not betting everything on getting into the charts the plan is to release many quality games and cross promote between them - then with each release there is more exposure between all of them, and if any future game gets featured and manages to get into the charts then all of your game sales pick up.

GC-Martijn(Posted 2011) [#13]
I can confirm that this is working (slow) at a duo core 4GB
- Free Oracle VirtualBox
- Free iATKOS_L2.dmg (os: lion)
- Monkey
- Free Xcode using the app store

Then when I "Build and Run" a monkey project for IOS its launching the emulator (slow) and nothing happens.

But when I run the build code inside Xcode it works (slow).

Now I'm thinking that I don't need to buy an expensive Imac but more GB ram and a better processor (for VirtualBox).

Then you can work in windows and share the "monkey project" files so you can build it for IOS.

As you can see, i'm still searching for the fastest way to build for many system's (and debugging). Maybe the real problem is that I don't want to use apple...

I hope someday you can build and debug on one platform for all targets.