Plants Vs Zombies

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Plants Vs Zombies

NoOdle(Posted 2011) [#1]
Is there anything stopping me making a game like plants vs zombies? I am confused because I can't find the original one and there are lots of versions of it. There is even a version in WoW. Are there any legal ramifications?

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Its just a tower defense game (and not a very good one, in my opinion). I'd probably avoid plants and zombies, but other than that, you can do what you like with the genre.

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#3]
Define "like". Plants vs. Zombies is Popcaps second most popular game ever. The "original" (for lack of a better word) is on their website. There is no way you can get away with plagiarizing it, if that's what your thinking.

But like Gfk said at the end of the day it's "just another" tower defense game, and far from one of the best. Take a look at something like Fieldrunners instead...

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#4]
Plants vs Zombies is great! PvZ was the first TD game I'd ever played, so it has a special place in my heart. I actually haven't found another I've wanted to play...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#5]
there is always room for more tower defense.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#6]
PvZ is great -- I also enjoy quite a few of the mini games... I probably played the vasebreaker minigame longer than the actual game itself. (Unfortunately, the minigames are not included in the Android version of PvZ)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2011) [#7]
I tried Plants vs Zombies as a free game of the day on Real (now GameHouse). It felt it was way too easy.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
It starts out really easy, but in the later levels it actually gets pretty tricky.