ImpactJS and Other HTML5 Builders

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/ImpactJS and Other HTML5 Builders

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#1]
What do you guys think about ImpactJS.com? Looks interesting. I wonder if Monkey could leverage something like appMobi.com?

I wonder if the idea of developing for HTML5 is going to become mainstream, as most devices will have an HTML5 canvas... right?

Indiepath(Posted 2011) [#2]
I'm Beta testing the appmobi DirectCanvas - it's a great solution to HTML5 speed issues on iOS and Android : http://www.appmobi.com/?q=node/167

Oh - and it's free!

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#3]
I wonder if the idea of developing for HTML5 is going to become mainstream,
It already is. PhoneGap, Titanium, MoSync, Rhodes, just to name a few. How many do you need before something is mainstream? :)

I don't see how Monkey could possibly leverage something like that, as monkey is doing something completely different, namely creating native apps, not just wrapping them in an embedded browser.

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#4]
As well as every OS and their dog is walking away from Flash, Apple dumped it, Google dont like it and now MS dont want it in their OS on tablets...

People still say Flash will flourish even without support from them above... I cannot see it though, unless Adobe inject something to the brand, other then that, erm!?!

Dabz

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#5]
I don't think Microsoft have ever shipped an OS with Flash pre-installed. So don't take the "Don't want it on their tablets" as anything more than their last-ditch attempt to justify SilverLight.

Also don't count out all the time and money invested in Flash and the Flash/Flex tool chain. A lot of people and a lot of companies who don't have time for all the bullshit you have to do with HTML 5 and JS to get it to work semi-reliably across all browsers, aren't going to be convinced that projects taking 3 times longer, and requiring better skilled labour, is going to be justifiable. After all Visual Basic is still around.

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#6]

I don't think Microsoft have ever shipped an OS with Flash pre-installed.

Erm, I never said it was pre-installed, all I said was MS dont want it on their new OS that'll be installed on tablets... Yep, I've read it, thats what I wrote.

Also don't count out all the time and money invested in Flash and the Flash/Flex tool chain.

I'm not, but then, in this day and age, squandering money on bollocks is all part of the game... Be it IT or construction, private or public... People move in with "The big idea", which is usually "A shite idea", but because their on 60k a year, whatever they say, goes, and as such, if that means 3x the work... Bugger it!

On the face of it, if it was me, I'd be one of them managers who would say "Right, we're gonna have to look at basing our products on a none-flash based technology because we want to maximize our exposure to users on the web, to start, all none essential services should be converted straight away, then, we'll move on to the core of our product base"

I'm on 60k a year, I couldnt give a shite if its a good idea or not! :D

After all Visual Basic is still around.

Erm... Okay... I must of forgot, like Flash, running a VB app on your laptop makes you lose 2 hours battery life, I didnt know that... Thanks! :)

Dabz