Windows Phone 7 amazing

Monkey Archive Forums/Digital Discussion/Windows Phone 7 amazing

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#1]
A friend of mine has just bought a HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7. I've been playing with it and the interface, general look and feel, and the design of the interface is a lot better than my android phone (a Samsung Gallaxy) and my previous phone (an iPhone 3G).

It seems nobody wants windows 7 phones, microsoft was "late to the party" etc, but the system is really amazing, and the design of the GUI in the whole OS is awesome.

If anyone is considering a new phone, don't say No to a Windows phone unless you've already tested one of the latest. Really, top notch :D I supose it won't get a very big share in the marken anytime soon (if ever) but it's very well designed. It looks like it has a better GUI design than te iPhone. It's the first time I preffer a Microsoft GUI over an Apple one.

Strange days we're living...

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#2]
I've had a Samsung Omnia 7 since November last year - and whilst I'm a fan of all things Microsoft I really love using the phone (the only one I've previous used of the smartphone type was a Win Mobile 6 HTC with work). Otherwise it's been all Nokia. The best part is its different - looks different, works different from Apple and it's clone Android.

My twin brother has had a number of smartphones for work and believes WP7 is the best out of all of them (he had an Apple Touch, iPhone 4, and now an iPad2 as well as briefly an Android).

Some of the new features coming in the 'Mango' update will improve the phone even more. For those of you who especially are social (use Facebook, Twitter etc) this is the phone for you with it's centralised communication hub.

Check it out!

Nokia coming on board is massive for the phone - should be interesting to see how it plays out.

wiebow(Posted 2011) [#3]
The dreadful upgrade procedures (my colleague had to tinker with his phone to get it in update mode at all) really puts me off. The broken promises of MS and the providers to put out updates on a regular basis also have not helped. Stupid politics. Also, the over the air updates used by Android, without using a patch program on a pc is way more user friendly.
Also, 'mango', with 500 new features and fixes sounds like a lot more than any developer should take on and expect it to be stable after deploying that update... Heck, Mango should have been version 1.0 as it introduces features that should have been in there already.

I have stopped buying products based on their future potential. I'll let MS prove they have something worthy to buy first. I'll wait for version two.

For me, Android is the way to go.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#4]
I use Androdi and like it a lot. but the GUI design, and I'm not talking about wich icons are being used, but the whole GUI organization, could be improved drastically. That's what I liked more about the WP7. Also, how efficient was the interface. Also, both iPhone and any Android can't keep very well consistency graphically as every app developer makes their own icons, and everything is set up in a single menu, unorganized other than alphabetically, etc.

All this is way better on WP7. I supose it won't get a big userbase becouse of all the hipe has been on iPhone and Android devices. But all I say is that it seems to be a very good platform and I hope it gets better in the direction it's facing now. It's a different alternative to what existed before, and that makes it very interesting.

The dreadful upgrade procedures (my colleague had to tinker with his phone to get it in update mode at all)
I don't know how it was before, but my friend just plugged the phone on his win7 laptop and it updated the phone software automatically, without any problem. It just started the Zune updater, and it updated the phone to latest version of the OS.
Maybe this has been already improved... ?

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yep - they had some issues getting the first updates out. They would certainly want to get it right the next time round with Mango. I'd reckon they will be working a lot closer with carriers and hardware makers to make sure it much smoother this time round.

JaviCervera(Posted 2011) [#6]
I don't like too much the plain colored panels which make me feel that I am using a ZX Spectrum, but what is amazing is how dynamic everything is (the way all the gadgets move when they appear on the screen or when you scroll around).

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#7]
I played a little bit with the Samsung Focus Windows 7 phone at the store the other day. Needless to say, i was impressed with the interface and the way things sort of flowed together. I kinda wanted to get one just to play around with it some more :).

wiebow(Posted 2011) [#8]
Let me re-emphasize that I do not think there is anything wrong with how it works and feels. I'm very disappointed with the logistics of the whole thing is executed. Until they prove otherwise, I'm staying well clear. 500 new features make me cringe as well. Talk about how many features they had to abandon for the 1.0 release. Geez. Talk about forced release.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#9]
Let me re-emphasize that I do not think there is anything wrong with how it works and feels. I'm very disappointed with the logistics of the whole thing is executed. Until they prove otherwise, I'm staying well clear. 500 new features make me cringe as well. Talk about how many features they had to abandon for the 1.0 release. Geez. Talk about forced release.
I do agree, but I'm very expectant to see how everything goes from now on. I hope my current phone (a Samsung Gallaxy S) will last one year more. Then, I'll take a look to iPhone, Android and Windows phones (which was out of the list several months ago).

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#10]
On Android, there are many different GUI's, depending on the manufacturer of the phone. I don't care much for the stock Android GUI, but do like the HTC Sense interface.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#11]
@xlsior: I use the same :D but all of them are the same GUI system with different icons, colors or aniamtions. They have a sort of desktop, and a app menu, etc. This is what I like about windows 7. It's different.