Table<T>, a convenient 2d array with neat features

Monkey Forums/Monkey Code/Table<T>, a convenient 2d array with neat features

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#1]
Heya. I dunno if I posted this before, but I wrote this class for use in some of the puzzle games I've been working on for the past year. Features include the ability to get/set/iterate through individual rows or columns, native 1d data access, 2d data accessors (Get/Set), and support for exceptions to prevent undefined behavior on the desktop target.

It may not be 100% complete, although I haven't needed to add new features to it for a while for my purposes. If you guys followed me on gist/github, you may have seen this code already! But for everyone else, here it is:

https://gist.github.com/nobuyukinyuu/7763863

A quick example of how this is easy to use:
Import table

Function Main:Int()
	'Makes a 5x5 table
	Local t:=New Table<Int>(5,5)  

'Initialize each cell in a row to the same value?
	Local rowNum:Int
	For local row:= EachIn t.Rows()
		For local i:Int = 0 until t.Width 'We could've also said eachIn row, or until row.Length()
			row[i] = rowNum
		Next 
		rowNum+=1
	Next 

'Randomize the entire table.
	For local i:Int = 0 until t.data.Length
		t.data[i] = Rnd($FFFFFFF)
	Next 

'Gimme a copy of column 3.
	Local col:Int[] = t.Column(3)

'Let's change all of column 3 to 0.
	For local i:Int = 0 until col.Length
		col[i] = 0
	Next 
	t.SetColumn(col, 3)

'Catching an out of range index.
	Try
		Local invalid:Int = t.Get(-1,-1)
	Catch ex:TableIndexOutOfRangeError
		Print ("Invalid cell!")
	End Try 
End Function

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#2]
Very nice!
you could also include Find:<T>[](value).

i also wonder if getting data from columns and such should be returned as a TableData class, which is essentially an extended stack. up to you.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#3]
what is a TableData class?
Mainly, I returned the individual series as arrays because I don't see an advantage to using a stack in those cases. the dimensions of the array are "fixed" after initializing, so there wouldn't be advantageous to return a Stack, unless (maybe?) to use a built-in sorter...

Find:T[](val:T) might be a good idea although I'm not sure what the optimal find strategy would be since there's no set order to the data. A good use case example of where this would be useful to be built in vs. performing the search yourself would be "nice to have".

Shinkiro1(Posted 2014) [#4]
Nice!
Width and Height should probably be read only. I mean it's pretty clear one shouldn't change them, but some day at 3 pm it might happen ...