Invalid encoding

Monkey Forums/Monkey Bug Reports/Invalid encoding

canadianGamer(Posted 2016) [#1]
I am new to monkey so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but anyway... I'm running linux on my laptop and I tried to download and use the linux version of monkey but when I try to run it it doesn't work and just makes a new file named: �@@�a h�a p�a
x�a��a��a��a��a��a��a��a��a��aȀaЀa؀a��a��a��a��a (invalid encoding)

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#2]
Follow the How to Install MonkeyX on Linux guide (post 3). Your system is trying to open the file as a text file, as it cannot determine what type of file it is trying to open. As the MonkeyX archive is distributed as a zip file, important file permissions that define what is permitted (read/write/execute) are not saved.

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#3]
In case anyone else has an issue. My post is a bit misleading.
If you are having problems opening a zip file (or any other file for that matter) with the GUI tools. Then open a terminal and use the command line tools such a unzip/tar or whatever tool is used to open that type of file. You should then set the file permissions for those types of archive that do not store file permission data.

This is not a bug with MonkeyX, but an issue with the Linux distribution set up. This topic should be moved to a more suitable section of the forums like 'Monkey Beginners'.

One more thing. Later versions of MonkeyX are 64bit only executables and on some 32 bit distributions give corrupted file names in the GUI.
Use the command file on what should be the Monkey executable (e.g file /path-to-monkeyx/Monkey) to determine the ELF of an executable.